British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Flying Corps and Royal Air Force

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 09-04-22, 07:48 PM

Default RAF 1942 badge

Interesting item has come up on eBay

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/234493383...sAAOSwjoZiScpn

Looks like a cast copy of rare a badge
Old 09-04-22, 07:57 PM

correct, its a fake.
Old 09-04-22, 08:11 PM

Default RAF 1942 badge

If anyone has a genuine one for sale, I’d be interested to hear from you by PM
Old 10-04-22, 03:37 AM

I've seen numerous Eagle Squadron pilot's uniforms at the Air Force Museum in Dayton, but never saw one of those. Not saying it isn't a proper badge, just never saw one before.

Terry
Old 10-04-22, 08:31 AM

Default Not worn in RAF uniform??

It's my understanding that these badges were awarded AFTER the recipient left the RAF and joined the US forces. Therefore it is unlikely it would be seen by someone wearing RAF uniform. I stand corrected if I am wrong however!
Old 10-04-22, 08:45 AM

Found this :

Quote:
The badge is often inaccurately referenced as an “Eagle Squadron Badge” because of its general association with the American pilots who flew for the RAF but the official name of the badge was the “American RAF Foreign Volunteer Badge.” The badge was awarded not just to Eagle Squadron pilots but to any American officer who served in any capacity with the RAF prior to 1942. American officers awarded the badge were permitted to wear it on the pocket fold of their uniform below the flap on the right hand side of their US Army Air Force uniforms.
https://www.billhowardauthor.com/sin...raf-1942-badge

Poppy and British Legion Wanted
Old 10-04-22, 09:04 AM

Default RAF 1942 Badge

The badge was awarded to American citizens who had been fighting with the RAF prior US officially joining WWII.

Churchill and the Air Ministry had wanted to award a medal, but Roosevelt’s team refused as US citizens had been banned from the European war and risked their citizenship being removed. The comprise was to allow them be transferred from the RAF to USAAF and to receive the badge to worn on their new uniform.

There has been three issues of the badge, 1942, 1943 and 1945 to pickup posthumous awards and other entitlement where they were unable to be presented first time round.

See

https://www.americanairmuseum.com/person/211344

https://ww2db.com/image.php?image_id=17303

https://www.billhowardauthor.com/sin...raf-1942-badge

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cYgoGnbVds

Last edited by Insignia; 10-04-22 at 05:13 PM.
Old 10-04-22, 09:11 AM

In 2018 a respectable American Auction House (Witherells) sold a couple of U.S Pilots uniforms :

Quote:
Note: the uniform is original, while the insignia have been added. Most of the insignia are original, including the very rare "1942" badge, which is a sperb(sic), hallmarked piece.
What is interesting is that instead of a basic cotter pin the badge is attached by a 'bar' .

https://witherells.com/lot/2-us-pilo...blouse-3162798

Attached Images
File Type: jpg RAF 1942.jpg (37.5 KB, 51 views)

Old 10-04-22, 09:44 AM

Default RAF 1942 badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Home Guard View Post
I've seen numerous Eagle Squadron pilot's uniforms at the Air Force Museum in Dayton, but never saw one of those. Not saying it isn't a proper badge, just never saw one before.

Terry
Hello Terry,

It’s a pity that the Dayton Museum has not picked up on the significance of this badge, the contribution to RAF of these US citizens who were awarded it was significant.
Old 10-04-22, 03:25 PM

This one turned up at a "BBC Antiques Roadshow" a year ago , hallmarked for 1945. The expert put a value on it of £3,000 !

https://www.express.co.uk/showbiz/tv...rice-BBC-video

Attached Images
File Type: jpg RAF.jpg (66.7 KB, 35 views)

Old 10-04-22, 03:33 PM

I m happy to learn about them. Can't badmouth the AF Museum as they do have some truly awesome display. Besides planes, lots of uniforms and other aviation relics. I suspect they have one and may have even been displayed and I just don't recall it.

If anyone is interested in military aviation and you can make it there it is worth going to see. One of the things that was amazing to me was standing under the wing of a B-36 and realizing the tires were taller than I am!

Terry
Old 10-04-22, 07:26 PM

Default RAF 1942 Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueboy684 View Post
It's my understanding that these badges were awarded AFTER the recipient left the RAF and joined the US forces. Therefore it is unlikely it would be seen by someone wearing RAF uniform. I stand corrected if I am wrong however!
Absolutely right Blueboy684
Old 10-04-22, 08:30 PM

Default RAF 1942 Badge

Quote:
I m happy to learn about them. Can't badmouth the AF Museum as they do have some truly awesome display. Besides planes, lots of uniforms and other aviation relics. I suspect they have one and may have even been displayed and I just don't recall it.

If anyone is interested in military aviation and you can make it there it is worth going to see. One of the things that was amazing to me was standing under the wing of a B-36 and realizing the tires were taller than I am!

Terry
The museum looks great Terry, hope to get there one day
Old 11-04-22, 07:01 AM

Quote:

Terry
Hi Terry , there is a company now located in Indianapolis but originally founded in 1967 to manufacturer fine jewelry in Dayton OH.

Quote:
the Director of the Air Force Museum asked us if we could make a charm of the 1903 Wright Flyer in Sterling Silver. We did and it started us off to a collection of over 450 charms, tie tacks, and military/USAF insignia. Today we have expanded to include very high quality reproductions of US Wings from the first 1913 wings to WWI and II and even a many current wings and insignia for our military when they want to wear real silver.

We have supplied many fine jewelry stores such as Cartier and many museums, such as the Museum of the United States Air Force, Smithsonian, EAA and others with our work.
They offer a museum quality reproduction of a very rare badge from the RAF awarded to American Pilots.

RAF / American Eagle Squadron 1942 Badge Sterling $75.00 (£58.00).

Old 11-04-22, 09:14 AM

Default RAF 1942 badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_vee View Post
Hi Terry , there is a company now located in Indianapolis but originally founded in 1967 to manufacturer fine jewelry in Dayton OH.

They offer a museum quality reproduction of a very rare badge from the RAF awarded to American Pilots.

RAF / American Eagle Squadron 1942 Badge Sterling $75.00 (£58.00).

Hello Mike,

Not sure if this the same business you make reference to

http://1903.us/RAF-American-Eagle-Sq...ing-p1401.html

Interesting to see the statement that this item can not be shipped to the UK.

The Import or Sale of Silver items with cast in (copied) hallmarks is strictly illegal in the UK as they are can only be applied by an Assay Offices.

Last edited by Insignia; 11-04-22 at 10:36 AM.