British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 04-04-22, 04:46 PM

Default Two Badges - Good or Bad Please

I've had these two badges for a good 20 years, long before I knew of this forum, and having little reference material available to me at the time. I am hoping the first badge is good, but believe the second badge is bad. Thank you for your thoughts.

There seems to be what appears to be a good sized paint blob on the lower end of the bottom of the cross.

I am thinking this is the Guards Machine Gun badge and feel it is a bad copy/fake???

I apologize my photography skill are lacking, but hopefully you can still make a determination.

Thanks,

Terry
Old 04-04-22, 05:44 PM

Bottom one is fake.

regards

Manchester Regiment Collector
Rank, Prize & Trade Badges
British & Commonwealth Artillery Badges
Old 04-04-22, 05:52 PM
Super Moderator

as it the top one - the slider is modern and the crown is unpierced whilst the paint is very bad.
Old 04-04-22, 06:53 PM

Terry,

Is there any chance you might be able to post a clearer, more in-focus image of the KRRC badge, at all?

JT
Old 04-04-22, 06:56 PM

I agree with Simon. Machine Gun Guards is horrible.
Andy
Old 04-04-22, 08:21 PM

Thank you gentlemen. I will try to get some better pictures and post them. I am not surprised about the Guards MG badge - anything obvious that ID's it as bad?

Dar, was sure hoping the KRRC was good!

Back with better pictures shortly,

Terry
Old 05-04-22, 12:19 AM

Is the KRRC crown pierced or not? It almost looks to me as if the paint job has filled in the voids. The photo is not clear enough to determine, but it could be a good badge underneath that goo. At any rate, these are very common and inexpensive badges to acquire a better one.

CB
Old 05-04-22, 04:29 AM

CB, I just looked at the badge and also in my two best reference books. The crown is solid, no void. It is all brass and looks to have been hand painted black just due to the thickness of the paint. It does appear to have all of he battle honors that were added to the badge. Have no idea of it's date.

My Doyle and Foster book on WW2 badges shows a voided crown, while my Gaylor shows a solid crown.

I will get some better pictures and post them.

Terry
Old 05-04-22, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Home Guard View Post
CB, I just looked at the badge and also in my two best reference books. The crown is solid, no void. It is all brass and looks to have been hand painted black just due to the thickness of the paint. It does appear to have all of he battle honors that were added to the badge. Have no idea of it's date.

My Doyle and Foster book on WW2 badges shows a voided crown, while my Gaylor shows a solid crown.

I will get some better pictures and post them.

Terry
I'd be reluctant to offer an opinion on your KRRC badge without a better look at it, but it doesn't necessarily follow that badges with non-voided crowns are not kosher. About ten or twelve years ago, DNW auctioned badges from the Gaunt Pattern Book Archive; I recall there being a Finsbury Rifles cap badge among that lot which had a non-voided crown.

I believe Wilf (ORASOT) has a number of excellent London Regiment badges with non-voided crowns. If we ask him nicely he may treat us to a little butcher's hook.

Cheers,

JT
Old 05-04-22, 06:12 AM
Super Moderator

The non voided crown is not a general rule for all badges but in KRRC case there are lots of these badges with solid crowns and bad paint jobs on ebay. A genuine one is £6-8 so I would throw that one away and repalce it.
Old 05-04-22, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan O View Post
The non voided crown is not a general rule for all badges but in KRRC case there are lots of these badges with solid crowns and bad paint jobs on ebay. A genuine one is £6-8 so I would throw that one away and repalce it.
Whereas my advice would be to throw nothing away.

Here is a badge with the 11mm Gaunt MM, so far accepted among collectors here on the forum as being genuine, with a non-voided crown, and a non-voided centre:

F5FC2CF7-FAD5-4743-8692-E22E0C1FDC90.jpg 7A6B0E84-D8C5-4D1E-BDAB-A19EDBB12C45.jpg

To date, I have not personally researched this badge or this particular Gaunt mark sufficiently enough to say with confidence whether it’s ‘genuine’ or not. To the best of my knowledge the forum ‘Makers’ Marks’ section does not list it as being dodgy.

If it’s a moody badge and a moody MM then great, we’ve all learned something. If genuine, then great also… another non-voided example on the ‘genuine’ list.

JT

Last edited by Jelly Terror; 05-04-22 at 06:00 PM.
Old 05-04-22, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Thank you gentlemen. I will try to get some better pictures and post them. I am not surprised about the Guards MG badge - anything obvious that ID's it as bad?

Dar, was sure hoping the KRRC was good!

Back with better pictures shortly,

Terry
The Machine Gun Guards badge should have a slider, no maker marks. It should also be a solid badge, no fret work, unlike officers badges. Hope this makes sense ?
Andy
Old 05-04-22, 10:21 PM

Andy , thank you. I was 99.99999% sure it was bad after reading that it was a rather scarce badge, and the price paid was far too little to warrant a real one.

But, I am pretty sure this is that my badge was worn by Sergeant York!!!! Happy to make a special price on it to members....and you can be the first to won this historic badge!!!

Terry
Old 07-04-22, 06:07 PM

I tried to get some better and closer picture of he KRRC badge and hope these will help. I could not get rid of the shadow on the left.

Thanks,

Terry
Old 08-04-22, 08:03 AM

I think, from the photographs, that the GMG is of recent manufacture and completely spurious, I don't like the KRRC, although it may well be original, it is not the best example and is very easy to replace.

Quote:
I've had these two badges for a good 20 years, long before I knew of this forum, and having little reference material available to me at the time. I am hoping the first badge is good, but believe the second badge is bad. Thank you for your thoughts.

There seems to be what appears to be a good sized paint blob on the lower end of the bottom of the cross.

I am thinking this is the Guards Machine Gun badge and feel it is a bad copy/fake???

I apologize my photography skill are lacking, but hopefully you can still make a determination.

Thanks,

Terry