British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > New Member Introduction Zone

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 24-09-21, 06:52 PM

Default Evenin' All

I started collecting Militaria in the late 70's but lost interest in the 90's and my collection ended up in old ammo boxes and kitbags in the loft. A few years ago it all came back to me when my parents passed, at first I thought of just selling everything and had made a start (which I now regret), but a change in domestic circumstances and a house move made me pause. In my new house I have room to display things and I found out that with several house moves and my kids rummaging through my stuff for "show and tell" at school - a few cherished items have gone AWOL. I started off just getting a few replacements as I go to a lot of antique shops and fairs, and before you can say "Take aim" - I'm back to full-blown collecting again... :^)

This time 'round I've decided to focus mainly on WW1 and WW2 metal badges (I don't like staybrite) and the occasional cloth badge. Coming back to the hobby after such a long break two things strike me; firstly prices have got *really* expensive and secondly there seem to be a large number of fakes and repros out there (but that seems common to most collecting hobbies these days).

I've been reading through the forum and it's great to know that there are so many knowlegeable fellow collectors out there and I'm looking forward to learning from you all.

Cheers!
Peter.
Old 25-09-21, 11:18 AM
Super Moderator

Hello Peter, welcome to the Forum. Your account is active and open for posts.
Old 25-09-21, 11:35 AM

Hello Peter , welcome to our great forum and welcome back to the collecting, I guess it never really leaves you once you’ve been hooked some great help on here and we are all still learning after many years.

Gerard
Old 29-09-21, 01:35 AM

You have come to the right place for badges Peter! With regard to "Coming back to the hobby after such a long break two things strike me; firstly prices have got *really* expensive and secondly there seem to be a large number of fakes and repros out there", indeed this is unfortunately the case.
I like to think I am passably conversant when it comes to British badges, but whenever I do come across a badge that I am not sure of, I research it here first.
Best of luck,

CB
Old 29-09-21, 02:33 AM

Welcome Peter, I've learned more in the short time I've been here than in many years prior. I recommend taking time to go through all of the albums, as they are great for seeing some awesome collections as well seeing many fine badges. Takes a while, but well worth it!

The members here are wonderful, friendly and always helpful.

Terry