British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 11-12-11, 11:45 PM
Peter J

Default Royal Fusiliers - K&K References

Here I go possibly splitting hairs again, but would anyone know if there is a difference between RF badges, K&K 597 and K&K 1818?

I am aware of none, but wondered if perhaps there might be some subtle difference(s), hence the two separate reference numbers.

RF.jpg

With thanks,

Peter.
Old 12-12-11, 01:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter J View Post
Here I go possibly splitting hairs again, but would anyone know if there is a difference between RF badges, K&K 597 and K&K 1818?

I am aware of none, but wondered if perhaps there might be some subtle difference(s), hence the two separate reference numbers.

Attachment 54603

With thanks,

Peter.
If I remember correctly Peter it is something to do with the crown where the flame emits from the grenade. I think (from memory only) that one version has the crown either omitted altogether, or set lower down and on the top part of the ball of the grenade.
Old 12-12-11, 07:10 AM

I don't know about K&K 1818 but their 597 was sealed as Pattern 9698/1902 in May of that year for wear on the sealskin cap, field cap, fsh and sd cap.
Old 12-12-11, 08:11 AM

I think the only reason there is an 1818 is because The London Regiment gets full coverage and it was an oversight that this badge was in fact the same as 579 and any minor variations were simply that , manufacturer's variations.
Old 12-12-11, 09:02 AM
Peter J

Thanks, gents. Super stuff, once again.

Toby,

I believe the badge you refer to is K&K 595:

K&K 595.jpg

The crown (Victorian) being set within the Garter, as opposed to above it, whereas K&K 597 and K&K 1818 have the crown (King's) above the Garter.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Julian,

Thanks for the S/P info - always good to have these details to refer back to.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

REMEVMBEA1,

I believe you may have hit the nail on the head. There certainly does not appear to be any difference between the two badges. A sound theory.

Thanks one and all.

Peter.
Old 12-12-11, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter J View Post
Thanks, gents. Super stuff, once again.

Toby,

I believe the badge you refer to is K&K 595:

Attachment 54623

The crown (Victorian) being set within the Garter, as opposed to above it, whereas K&K 597 and K&K 1818 have the crown (King's) above the Garter.

Peter.
Yes, that's it Peter. I am afraid I was commenting blind, without having access to my K&K and going only by the image that you posted, in hindsight a fairly pointless exercise, but thank you for your courteous reply.
Old 12-12-11, 12:20 PM
Peter J

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby Purcell View Post
Yes, that's it Peter. I am afraid I was commenting blind, without having access to my K&K and going only by the image that you posted, in hindsight a fairly pointless exercise, but thank you for your courteous reply.
Toby,

I'm just waiting for a K&K app to come out. No more heavy reference books out of reach at home... instant badge access .

Thanks again for your reply, mate.

All the best,

Peter

Tags
k&k1818, k&k597, royal fusiliers