British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Airborne, Elite and Special Forces Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 13-02-12, 10:39 PM

Default Metal SAS badges

I know nothing about SF insignia and yes I know there is a search function but need a quick answer.

When were metal SAS badges in use from and too (if thats not a too simplistic question).

Thanks, Ivan
Old 14-02-12, 03:07 PM

There was a WW2 version made in the REME Workshops in the desert - there are only a few surviving examples and they're >£500. The next version was worn in 1953 in the Coronation parade on a peaked cap. Officers wore silver & gilt, other ranks bi metal. Original Officers version do turn up sometimes with collar badges, but the OR's ones are very hard to get.
The Rhodesians wore a metal cap badge, as did the Australian SAS Regt. The Belgians wore a version in gilt for Officers, white metal for NCOs and brass for ORs, but they are of a very distinctive pattern.
Finally there's the ARTISTS cap badge in white metal worn by the SAS upon their re-forming as a TA unit post WW2.

Ian H
Old 14-02-12, 04:40 PM

Ian thats great thanks, thats the sort of information I was looking for.

Cheers, Ivan
Old 14-02-12, 05:10 PM

Hi Ian, if you can find me an early desert ww2 version for around the 500 GBP mark I am your man to be honest if you can find them I would expect a much higher price it is like the white SAS beret although that one may even be harder or impossible to get. Some dealers sell Belgian 1950-ties SAS badges as ww2 as they look a bit similar but in fact are different, cheers JB

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianh67military View Post
There was a WW2 version made in the REME Workshops in the desert - there are only a few surviving examples and they're >£500. The next version was worn in 1953 in the Coronation parade on a peaked cap. Officers wore silver & gilt, other ranks bi metal. Original Officers version do turn up sometimes with collar badges, but the OR's ones are very hard to get.
The Rhodesians wore a metal cap badge, as did the Australian SAS Regt. The Belgians wore a version in gilt for Officers, white metal for NCOs and brass for ORs, but they are of a very distinctive pattern.
Finally there's the ARTISTS cap badge in white metal worn by the SAS upon their re-forming as a TA unit post WW2.

Ian H
Old 14-02-12, 08:16 PM

And there was at least ONE time for a high level visit that a metal cap badge was worn by D Sqn in Malaya. Photographic evidence does exist, but not for me to post.
Old 15-02-12, 05:34 PM

Default SAS badge.

Hi Guys,after reading this thread i thought i would post pics of a post war third patt Fairbairn/Sykes knife that has had a bi metal SAS badge fixed to the grip and am enquiring if any one can date it.The knife appears to have been made as a presentation piece as it has had the name MAJOR N HORNER engraved in the blade.I would say that this is not your normal mass produced post war F/S knife made by Nowill or several of the other companies.It has a quality blade that was blued after it was engraved.The sheath is made of a mid tan leather and shows obvious signs of having been carried,with the leg wings cut off.There is a mention in the Supplement to the London Gazette dated 4th april 1946 that shows a Norman Horner[#140329]as MAJOR[temp] in the Royal Corps of Signals section..
I have enquired at the Royal Army museum in London and the only info they could give me was that N Horner was made a temp Major a few days before D Day in 1944 and was demobbed in 1947.Can any one suggest a way to get any more info on this person and to why he would have an SAS badge put on this knife.
Thanks in advance.Steve.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SAS Fairbairn 005.jpg (36.6 KB, 88 views)
File Type: jpg SAS Fairbairn 006.jpg (33.6 KB, 67 views)
Old 15-02-12, 05:36 PM

Default SAS badge

More pics.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SAS Fairbairn 008.jpg (36.7 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg SAS Fairbairn 009.jpg (31.0 KB, 41 views)
Old 16-02-12, 07:46 AM

Does this mean that the bucketful of metal SAS badges I saw on the local market could possibly be FAKES. Steps back in amazement
Old 18-01-24, 06:04 PM

If Collector22 reads this reply I hope he'll contact me. I have sent him/her a private message. Major N Horner referred to above was my Dad - so I could provide lots of information about him and am really interested in the knife!
Old 19-01-24, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Horner View Post
If Collector22 reads this reply I hope he'll contact me. I have sent him/her a private message. Major N Horner referred to above was my Dad - so I could provide lots of information about him and am really interested in the knife!
He hasn't been logged in for a couple of years :

Quote:
Last Activity: 21-10-21 09:47 PM

Poppy and British Legion Wanted