British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Other Militaria

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 05-04-16, 06:55 AM

Default Mess Tradition

Officers seem to of had a personal napkin ring for mess use.I see them on ebay etc to all the services.Here are two I have.The Dorset is very interesting giving a very good insight into this officers service.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg knapkin 002.jpg (29.4 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg knapkin 003.jpg (26.8 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg knapkin 006.jpg (28.3 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg knapkin 007.jpg (36.3 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg knapkin 011.jpg (28.1 KB, 51 views)
Old 05-04-16, 07:24 AM

Really nice item's. Great to have those service details.

Alli
Old 05-04-16, 08:18 AM
Mr. Jackanory

What a fabulous item. Also highlights that regular officers still had a career mapped out for them when they were on active service.
Old 07-04-16, 12:44 PM

Default R Sussex

One more,I think this officer spent most of his service with the Gloucestershire regiment.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mess 004.jpg (41.6 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg Mess 006.jpg (39.5 KB, 22 views)
Old 07-04-16, 12:46 PM

Default Coffee cans

Three coffee cans.Would have thought officers mess.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mess 009.jpg (36.0 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg Mess 010.jpg (26.0 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg Mess 012.jpg (23.9 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg Mess 014.jpg (24.7 KB, 10 views)
Old 07-04-16, 12:49 PM
LYPAO Boff

I have a silver napkin set for my Mother & Father for the Westminster Dragoons. In my own mess we had to buy a silver wine goblet (name date engraved etc) on entering the LDYPAO mess.

"A Yeoman from the Stalwart Rural Cavalry"
Lechyd da pob Cymro

Last edited by GriffMJ; 07-04-16 at 04:22 PM.
Old 07-04-16, 04:10 PM

I'd forgotten to post these, not as glamorous as the beautiful silver napkin rings but the sort of odd things I like to pick up, leather napkin rings as used by 1st RTR.
Old 07-04-16, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matti467 View Post
What a fabulous item. Also highlights that regular officers still had a career mapped out for them when they were on active service.
As far as having careers mapped out for them, the following takes some beating. An extract from the Royal Regiment of Artillery Seniority and Distribution Lists dated February 1938 (Corrected to 15 Jan 38);

It was planned that in 1942-43 K and L Btys RHA would move from UK to India and G and E Btys RHA would leave India for UK. The following year 1st Bde RHA was to move from UK to Egypt and 3rd Bde RHA would return to UK from Egypt.

And on the same page it was noted that in the year 1957-58 (!) 4th Med Bde RA was to move from UK to India.

Nothing like planning ahead!
Old 07-04-16, 08:22 PM

I believe that an Officers Mess tradition with the 59th ( 4th West Lancashire Medium Brigade ) R.A. T.A. was for officers to have silver plated pint tankards with the Regimental Crest and their name and date of commissioning engraved on them.

the one shown has the name H.K.Domoline engraved on it and the date 1921. the tankard has the company name Milligan and Pickerill, Liverpool engraved on the bottom, presumably they supplied the tankard and carried out the engraving.

According to the 1939 Training Calendar for the Regiment ( pictured ) H.K. Dimoline was a Battery Commander and the Regimental History has him as Lt.Col. Commanding 68th Medium Regiment ( second line unit of the 59th ) from 1939-1942, he ended up DSO, MBE, TD.

The war time story of one of the other Battery Commanders who`s name is also on the front of the Training Calendar was made into one of the best known WW2 films albeit with rather a lot of artistic licence.

100 Brownie points for anyone who knows the name of the film.

( Strangely the crown above the crest has what looks like a QE2 crown but I think it is meant to be a QVC )
P.B.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2466.jpg (54.5 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2467.jpg (82.3 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2468.jpg (58.5 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2469.jpg (59.5 KB, 8 views)

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 07-04-16, 08:36 PM

Deleted- Duplicate post.

P.B.

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 07-04-16, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Brydon View Post
I believe that an Officers Mess tradition with the 59th ( 4th West Lancashire Medium Brigade ) R.A. T.A. was for officers to have silver plated pint tankards with the Regimental Crest and their name and date of commissioning engraved on them.

the one shown has the name H.K.Domoline engraved on it and the date 1921. the tankard has the company name Milligan and Pickerill, Liverpool engraved on the bottom, presumably they supplied the tankard and carried out the engraving.

According to the 1939 Training Calendar for the Regiment ( pictured ) H.K. Dimoline was a Battery Commander and the Regimental History has him as Lt.Col. Commanding 68th Medium Regiment ( second line unit of the 59th ) from 1939-1942, he ended up DSO, MBE, TD.

The war time story of one of the other Battery Commanders who`s name is also on the front of the Training Calendar was made into one of the best known WW2 films albeit with rather a lot of artistic licence.

100 Brownie points for anyone who knows the name of the film.

( Strangely the crown above the crest has what looks like a QE2 crown but I think it is meant to be a QVC )
P.B.
Bridge On The River Kwai.
Old 07-04-16, 09:08 PM

Hoot,

Well done

100 Brownie Points to you.

( The Drill Hall of the Liverpool Gunners ( previously the Liverpool Irish ) is called the Brigadier Philip Toosey Barracks :

http://www.alternativevenuesnorthwes...osey-barracks/

I wonder how many people who pass the building today know who he was and his story )

Peter

Old 07-04-16, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jackson View Post
As far as having careers mapped out for them, the following takes some beating. An extract from the Royal Regiment of Artillery Seniority and Distribution Lists dated February 1938 (Corrected to 15 Jan 38);

It was planned that in 1942-43 K and L Btys RHA would move from UK to India and G and E Btys RHA would leave India for UK. The following year 1st Bde RHA was to move from UK to Egypt and 3rd Bde RHA would return to UK from Egypt.

And on the same page it was noted that in the year 1957-58 (!) 4th Med Bde RA was to move from UK to India.

Nothing like planning ahead!
I find that interesting that I was K Bty fitter in 1970 when it was the senior battery with 5 Light Regiment RA , having lost it's RHA title in 1958.
Old 08-04-16, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerlily View Post
I'd forgotten to post these, not as glamorous as the beautiful silver napkin rings but the sort of odd things I like to pick up, leather napkin rings as used by 1st RTR.
Ugh!! Not in my time.
Old 08-04-16, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stTankie View Post
Ugh!! Not in my time.
No they're 80's or 90's I think.