British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Other Commonwealth Military Insignia > All other Colonial Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 26-11-16, 01:04 PM

Default Straits Settlements Police?

I have had this cap badge in my collection for some 20 years and never been able to establish what formation it could refer to: I am not sure that could be a cap badge of the Straits Settlement Police, because it looks like they were a completely different pattern still the initials seem to match: any hints, gentlemen?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mistery_badge1.jpg (13.1 KB, 60 views)
Old 26-11-16, 07:53 PM

Default Straits Settlement Police ?

Appears very similar to that shown on Page 109 of Renfrew Part 2 at Serial 2042,described as ' Straits Settlement Police Helmet Plate in White Metal 1919 - 1942 ' although your badge is apparently smaller,has lugs east to west with pin which would indicate a collar badge.I note that in the Helmet Plate the letter P is emphasized,in yours it is the S that bears the weight.
Old 27-11-16, 02:00 AM

Hi,

Although I wouldn’t discount a Straits Settlement connection, but judging by the fact that sequence of letters and font are slightly different to that mentioned for the Straits Settlement, and also its similarity to almost all the pre Indian Police independence badges that I’ve come across - I wonder if it doesn’t actually belongs to one of the Indian States Police Services. I’ve attached a couple of links that you might find interesting.

Regards,

Zob.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_...ervices_(India)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...dia_(by_region)
Old 27-11-16, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1314 View Post
Appears very similar to that shown on Page 109 of Renfrew Part 2 at Serial 2042,described as ' Straits Settlement Police Helmet Plate in White Metal 1919 - 1942 ' although your badge is apparently smaller,has lugs east to west with pin which would indicate a collar badge.I note that in the Helmet Plate the letter P is emphasized,in yours it is the S that bears the weight.
Hello 1314, thank you so much for the info. Since I haven't got a copy of Renfrew's book, could I ask you for a scan of the page with this badge? Cheers!