British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Military Buttons

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 25-05-09, 08:17 PM

Default General service buttons

Can anyone tell me if General Service Corps buttons were used by all army regiments. If so why were these used rather than the actual regiment button. Did the home guard uniforms have general service corps buttons?

Many thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg web-Gen-Serv-Corps-buttons.jpg (62.2 KB, 67 views)
Old 25-05-09, 10:54 PM
guest456

Default General service buttons

The general service button could be the subject of a pretty hefty book in its own right ! I believe that the question is directed towards post 1902 (King's crown) buttons so I will concentrate on them. The most universal issue of general service buttons was after the commencement of WW1. Once the BEF had gone, usually wearing regimental or territorial buttons, and the first wave of reinforcements had been equipped, mass conscription brought vast numbers of soldiers into the war. The vast majority went to war wearing general service buttons. This is evidenced by a rarity of other ranks buttons of the WW1 period with regimental devices. Also, the numbers of contractors and sub-contractors manufacturing general service buttons was huge - such was the demand. One victim of the 'generalisation' of buttons was Jennens & Co., who had always prided themselves on their specific regimental designs. They eventually gave way to Gaunts in 1924. Of course, there are Dress Regulations and War Department Regulations to support changes in procurement policy.
Old 26-05-09, 12:07 AM
Member 2008-2010 Rest in Peace

Ha... Buttons.....My favourite subject. They're beauties aren't they? Even the general service button. Here in Canada it was the same. Cap & uniform manufacturers mostly used the general service button (speed & simplicity) unless It was specified otherwise. Those that wanted different could buy the Regimental buttons & have them sewn on privately. The Regimental button is a thing of beauty and make a good collection all by themselves. But unlike the UK some Regiments didn't have their own button & had to use the general service button. Twenty three Regiments & five Corps didn't have their own button & used General service buttons. Some got them just after WW2 & a few since then. I'm not sure of this next statement & please correct me if I'm wrong, But I believe all the British Regiments & Corps had their own button. NO? Ray
Old 26-05-09, 04:12 PM

I have a General Service button mounted on a slider as a temporary measure for use as a cap badge.
Old 29-05-09, 07:04 PM

Thanks all for this useful information.
Old 29-05-09, 07:27 PM
guest456

Default General Service Buttons

boots and saddles - There were 2 phases in the use of general service buttons in the British Army - the 1870s and WW1. Numbered buttons of line infantry regiments in the 1870s were exclusively for officers for a period of time, which is why many other ranks' numbered buttons are scarcer than officers. In WW1 it was the sheer numbers of conscripts to be uniformed that made the general service button much more appropriate, removing the necessity to re-button between basic training and regimental deployment. As I remarked earlier, the BEF and its reinforcements tended to come from regular units, already regimentally buttoned, but subsequent drafts kept their general service buttons.
Old 29-05-09, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by revdougal View Post
I have a General Service button mounted on a slider as a temporary measure for use as a cap badge.
This is a fact that many are not aware of. During WW1, the massive recruiting and conscription caused a shortage of OR's cap badges, and GS buttons were sometimes utilized as a stop gap measure to be worn on the service dress cap until a propper badge could be obtained. They were sometimes worn with a cloth backing roundel. I think this was done only in the UK and the soldiers would not be sent overseas wearing them, but I am not sure about this.

CB
Old 29-05-09, 09:22 PM
guest456

Default General Service Buttons

Forgive me for my disagreement but the practice of attaching a slider to a general service button was a rarity ! In fact, I appeal to forum members to say how many such examples they have seen over their many years of collecting. I feel that we should not paint an unreal picture here. General service buttons for the masses of conscripts - yes ! As to cap badges, they were pretty plentiful once recruits were deployed to their regiments. The many contemporary photographs of WW1 clearly show the trend of a specific cap badge with gs buttons. Let us stay real on this.
Old 30-05-09, 05:29 PM
Super Moderator

This practice was not uncommon but only for a very short period in late 1914-early 1915 when the sheer numbers of recruits surpassed supply. They are relatively rare as they were quickly discarded but there are a variety of contempory phtos of new recruits in the UK wearing such things.

Alan
Old 28-11-10, 09:12 AM

Default General Service buckle?

Hi.....is this discussion also true about General Service Buckles? I've often wondered about how these would be used for the Guards or Royal Marines or whatever regiment and why,etc. ?? I've recently recieved a bunch of Guards type white buff leather belts and they came with 4 QC General Service buckles.
Old 29-11-10, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guest456 View Post
The general service button could be the subject of a pretty hefty book in its own right ! I believe that the question is directed towards post 1902 (King's crown) buttons so I will concentrate on them. The most universal issue of general service buttons was after the commencement of WW1. Once the BEF had gone, usually wearing regimental or territorial buttons, and the first wave of reinforcements had been equipped, mass conscription brought vast numbers of soldiers into the war. The vast majority went to war wearing general service buttons. .
I have to disagree. AO10/1902 introduced the jacket, and buttons were to be GS pattern on issue, but regiments/ corps could replace these with prior permission. Some did, most did not. Some few regiments had regimental buttons officially provided by 1915 at the latest. These latter were Household cavalry, and other cavalry [Hussars plain ball], 'RA', RE, RFC, the four existing Foot Guards, and Rifles.
What did happen was that some more exclusive Militia [Special Reserve 1908] and VR [TF 1908] units required recruits to make private purchase.
Also, in some regular battalions senior NCOs did likewise, leaving the men with GS.
The Great War Forum members dredged their archives and came up with a few examples of regimental buttons in the Great War. They comprised: at least one unit [never regulars] each of Royal Scots, A&SH, Border Regt, N&D, KOYLI, Ox and Bucks, Welsh, HLI.

The war was most certainly not the fount of the almost-universal GS button!

Last edited by grumpy; 29-11-10 at 04:38 PM. Reason: finger trouble
Old 29-11-10, 07:10 PM

About 4 years back I was involved with some Greatcoats that were part of a new loan pool, both khaki and athol grey arrived with GS buttons (brass KC, brass & aa QC) all the buttons were removed, Regimental buttons sewn on, Greatcoats worn, buttons changed back and returned to the loan pool.
Old 29-11-10, 07:31 PM

Part of ACI 267 of 13th March 1918 ( from"British Uniforms and Equipment of the Great Wat 1914-18 Vol 1 " by John Bodsworth ) attached.

P.B.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Buttons.jpg (22.3 KB, 66 views)

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 20-09-14, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan O View Post
This practice was not uncommon but only for a very short period in late 1914-early 1915 when the sheer numbers of recruits surpassed supply. They are relatively rare as they were quickly discarded but there are a variety of contempory phtos of new recruits in the UK wearing such things.

Alan
Hi Alan, how are you. I did some searching on the forum and came across this thread as think I just got my hands on one of these slidered buttons.

You mention contemporary photo's of them being worn. Is this something you have to take a look at.

Regards
Simon.
Old 20-09-14, 05:51 PM

Hello Simon,

I look forward to seeing your button on a slider. There was a thread started some time back in which I show mine http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...ad.php?t=24730

There are quite a few books that show the GS bottons being worn in the cap. "Kitchener's Army" by Ray Westlake is one that I have just looked in quickly. Page 168 shows members of "B" Coy, 9th Battalion, South Wales Borderers wearing them. The image isn't a close up unfortunately though.

All the best,

Andy