British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 10-02-15, 11:55 AM

Default An Irish mystery solved !!!

Some years ago ( before E mail was invented ) I corresponded with a Liverpool Irish collector in Ireland and he sent me a letter with scans of two Liverpool Irish wire embroidered cloth badges one of which was obviously a blazer badge. The second badge ( at the top ) was cut to shape ( see photo ) and its use remained a mystery.

In the last week or so an E bayer has listed an incorrectly described RUC badge and some RUC buttons-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1816522898...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

On close inspection the badge is the same as the one in the picture sent to me all those years ago. I thought the man who might know what it was is our member Eric Fawcett.

In an exchange of E mails with Eric, he provided the following information:

Hi Peter the only explanation I can give or recollect
When I Joined as a band boy in 1953 the Regiment had a Football Team and was run by Major McLennan then 2ic
He was very proud of his team and I believe they had Green Blazers with what looks like this Badge on it and black buttons for special events
Several of the band played on the team and on occasion all the band would go to Altcar to do our days Training ahhhh the good old days
What the division they played in I couldn’t tell you but they always played their Games at ALTCAR Ranges

Looking at the badge on E bay it is embroidered directly onto a green blazer pocket, so with great thanks to Eric a mystery has been finally solved, it is the badge from a specially made sports blazer for members of the Liverpool Irish Football Team.

I wonder if the black buttons were rifle pattern button ?

P.B.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img001.jpg (43.3 KB, 74 views)

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 11-02-15, 08:36 AM

After some thought, I decided I had to buy the badge on E bay although I did get it at a much reduced price.

I think it is an attractive badge just a pity it was not worn on uniform.

P.B.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Liverpool Irish blazer.jpg (97.7 KB, 39 views)

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 11-02-15, 09:55 AM

A very nice badge Peter,
I do find it a shame that the Lpool Irish and more recently Lpool Scottish are no longer represented in Liverpool as Reservist (TA) Infantry/Cadets, although there is hope with the cadets who are now affiliated to 1 Royal Irish in the city may one day (wishing) get a new badge with Liverpool on it
Paul
Old 11-02-15, 11:14 AM
E-squadron

Great story Peter and a nice badge to boot!. I have no issues with adding something to my collection that was not military issue; as long as there's a connection to the guys I collect to then that's all that matters to me

Andy
Old 11-02-15, 03:55 PM

That really is a spectacular badge. The military (and police) have certainly shown a lot of imagination in the designs based around both the Maid of Erin and the Tara Harp over the years and that's one of the better ones. They are so romantic.