British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 10-02-15, 12:10 AM

Default Black Watch 1st Vol Btn

Hi Chaps,

You know that wonderful feeling when you're waiting for a badge to turn up in the mail and as you unwrap it you realize it is far better in the flesh than you were expecting?

Well I just unwrapped a corker of a badge and in much better condition/finish than I had anticipated, so I'm a happy chap .

It is a small badge to the 1st Volunteer Battalion Black Watch (Royal Highlanders). I'm just starting to put together a few Scottish/Black Watch badges, so first to raise my hand up as a novice but believe this to be a scarce badge (?).

Anyway this little beauty has made my evening, so wanted to share it.

Cheers, Roy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0001 2.jpg (96.5 KB, 88 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0005.jpg (66.6 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0006.jpg (72.8 KB, 61 views)

Despatch Rider Insignia & Photographs.

Author/Dealer in the Fairbairn Sykes Fighting Knife
My website: www.fsknife.com
Old 10-02-15, 05:56 AM

Roy
I've managed to contain my jealousy over the fantastic badges you have shared with the forum recently, but now you are taking the proverbial. If this carries on much longer I'm going to have to talk to the moderators about your membership.

I've been looking for a 1st VB in excellent condition for some time. Great to see it and thanks for sharing. Superb!

If you ever decided to chuck it all in and collect Hopi Indian artifacts from the Haversupai reservation instead, then you have a ready buyer.

Here's a taster of some of my Black Watch VB and their antecedents in my collection. There is a member that posts on the forum from time to time that has a comprehensive BW collection. The Roy Marsden collection can be seen on the Black Watch forum.

And as the wearer of that badge would probably say 'Awan an eh'll be seeing yez eh'.

All the best
Mark
Attached Images
File Type: jpg VB Black Watch.jpg (78.6 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg Black Watch Front.jpg (91.8 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg 4th VB Black Watch.jpg (67.2 KB, 51 views)
Old 10-02-15, 06:09 AM

Hi Mark,

Thanks for your input (I think... ). Looks like I landed on my feet with this one then. Funny it was one of those buys where I just had a gut feeling about it, so grabbed it and then started to do a little research. However when it turned up I couldn't believe what a stunning little badge it way. I don't think my photography does it justice, so will have another bash in the morning, as the light is always better then for some reason.

Hopi Indian collecting.. Well I'm certainly in the right place Mark. And don't worry if I do pack it all in I will give you a call

Thanks for sharing your badges Mark, some real crackers there and lovely to see. I'm just started out putting a few Black Watch badges together and have a couple more on the way. I'm not sure they will impress you quite as much as this beauty but hey who know?

Cheers mate, Roy.

Despatch Rider Insignia & Photographs.

Author/Dealer in the Fairbairn Sykes Fighting Knife
My website: www.fsknife.com
Old 25-05-23, 07:17 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy View Post
Hi Chaps,

You know that wonderful feeling when you're waiting for a badge to turn up in the mail and as you unwrap it you realize it is far better in the flesh than you were expecting?

Well I just unwrapped a corker of a badge and in much better condition/finish than I had anticipated, so I'm a happy chap .

It is a small badge to the 1st Volunteer Battalion Black Watch (Royal Highlanders). I'm just starting to put together a few Scottish/Black Watch badges, so first to raise my hand up as a novice but believe this to be a scarce badge (?).

Cheers, Roy.
Roy

Did you ever find out what this was worn on? Was it an officers badge?

Alan
Old 25-05-23, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy View Post
Hi Chaps,

Cheers, Roy.
Great find Roy,
I’ve an ORs although it has one replacement lug plus an Officers (blackened silver) on blades, they don’t come up often, I’m not 100% but think these were worn by a cycle section
I’ll post better pics tomorrow if you wish
Paul
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_1213.jpeg (62.4 KB, 34 views)
Old 26-05-23, 01:41 AM

Gentlemen all, as one who a short time back decided to start collecting Scottish badges, I have really enjoyed reading this thread and seeing those very remarkable badges.

I can't say my little collection is quite as acclaimed as it is more of just what I've been able to come up with, aiming for a nice display with each badge on the proper tartan or black ribbon backing.

I also must admit I do have several Indian artifacts and when doing my cowboy action shooting I usually wear a string of vintage trade beads in honor of the small bit of Indian blood may father told me ran in the family.

Cowboy B .jpg

Thanks guys for sharing!

Terry
Old 26-05-23, 05:22 AM

Nice badge, thanks for showing it. Were these only found in brass/blackened?
Cheers,
Alex