British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Other Commonwealth Military Insignia > New Zealand Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 19-10-12, 06:33 AM

Default Captain John Mcdonald Johnston

Quote:
Originally Posted by pukman View Post
Ian,

We can rule out Captain Robert Foster Johnston ,Surgeon Dentist NZ Dental corp,which is the name in your book.

There are at least 4 Johnston's mentioned in the NZRB history.One is the Brigadier General.

The 3 remaining suspects are

2/LT 24/480 Alexander Thomas Johnston ,K.I.A 3.8.18 from Balclutha
2/LT 24/120 Cameron Johnston K.I A 7.6.17

or the most likely

Captain John McDonald Johnston 24/4 (to be Major and Quartermaster Officer) of Wellington

Perhaps we need this publication or someone who has it.

We also have to remember the Batman who wrote the sketch /autograph book was also a commissioned officer from mid 1917 onwards.
Hi there, I realise this is a real long shot given the age of this post but I have literally just begun searching for my family genealogy and googled my great grandfather "Major John Mcdonald Johnston", latterly from Wellington, who served in both the Boer War and in the 1st World War. I believe the gentleman you refer to in this post may well be my great grandfather and would love to know whatever information you have, and perhaps fill in some gaps for you if my mum has that information, and you're interested of course

I look forward to hearing back from you should you ever receive this message. Many thanks, Jan.
Old 19-10-12, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janman View Post
Hi there, I realise this is a real long shot given the age of this post but I have literally just begun searching for my family genealogy and googled my great grandfather "Major John Mcdonald Johnston", latterly from Wellington, who served in both the Boer War and in the 1st World War. I believe the gentleman you refer to in this post may well be my great grandfather and would love to know whatever information you have, and perhaps fill in some gaps for you if my mum has that information, and you're interested of course

I look forward to hearing back from you should you ever receive this message. Many thanks, Jan.
Hello Jan,

As you will probably know ,Major John Mcdonald Johnston 's army file is online at New Zealand archives, achives.govt.nz.

It outlines his involvement in the Great War.He served as a quartermaster Officer in the NZRB for a time.Unfortunately his service was cut short due to illness.He did indeed serve in the 2nd South Africa(Boer) war,but there is no mention of which force he served in.

I did find one reference to Johnston in the official history of the New Zealand Rifle Brigade.Page 63 in a list of 3rd Battalion. officers....''Capt.J.McD Johnston to be Major ,and to be quartermater''.

Regards Iain

Last edited by pukman; 02-11-12 at 05:29 PM.
Old 02-11-12, 05:28 AM

Default RSA badge

Hi

Some details on your RSA badge if you've not been overwhelmed with info.

Hard to really see, but I think that your badge is the "second issue" of these. This can be seen from the safety chain on the back of the badge. These were made by CM Bay of Wellington and were produced from early 1918 onwards. Badge was "downsized" to half its size in 1927 (various reasons for this: cost, fashion and a desire to identify those whose membership had lapsed).

Chain was fitted because many badges were being lost and Bay took out a "patent" on this (RD 1019) and the badge itself was registered under the design RD861.

Cost of this badge to the Association would have been 1/8 pence.

Cheers

Ray
Old 04-02-19, 02:19 AM

A bit late in replying to this post but the Returned Soldier's Assoc badge comes from the later strike of this badge (around 1918). The "giveaway" is also the chain that was attached to a ring at the back of the crown.

I can't read the details on the badge but if you can see the letters "C B" in the front "D-shaped" panel this confirms it. If the letters "M K" are there then it is the first issue badge (1916-1918).