British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Cavalry, Yeomanry, Tank/RAC Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 06-10-19, 12:40 PM

Default Surrey Yeomanry OSD?

Gents
It's a slow, dreich, wet Sunday afternoon, so what better excuse to stay indoors, light the fire and dig out some badges.

I have pulled out the attached Surrey Yeomanry badges from my yeomanry box. The bronzed badge at the top came with a lot of random badges that I bought online at auction. On inspection it appears to be from the same die as the tall gilding KC badge on the second row except it has been bronzed. It has replacement loops, perhaps replacing the usual officers tang fittings if it's an OSD badge. However, it does have some scarring and loss of bronze behind the crown which may indicate that at one time it had a slider, so maybe OR's. However, I can find no reference indicating that at any time the Surrey Yeomanry had bronzed badges, so can I safely assume it is indeed a die-stamped bronzed OSD badge with replacement loops?

Perhaps these die-stamped badges were cheaper to buy than the usual thick die-cast bronze badges and fitted the pocket of a more financially challenged officer?

Mark
Attached Images
File Type: jpg surrey.jpg (60.4 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg surrey 1.jpg (51.0 KB, 29 views)

Last edited by dubaiguy; 06-10-19 at 12:57 PM.
Old 06-10-19, 12:49 PM

A bigger photo of the back.
Mark
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8267.jpg (42.1 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8268.jpg (37.8 KB, 20 views)
Old 06-10-19, 03:24 PM

Hi Mark,

It's not conclusive by any means, but I do have a photo of one on an officer's peaked forage cap that was for sale. Also, (if not yours) one sold as part of a larger Surrey Yeo collection at auction earlier this year.

There is nothing in the Sussex Yeomanry museum at Newhaven Fort showing one (the Surrey Yeo later became 2 Troop, 200 Bty. (Sx Yeo)).

However, in Litchfield's book, he says that a bronze badge was worn after 1930 by officers of the Sy Yeo and the Sx Yeo. I have several Sussex examples.

I am sure someone else will know more...

Kind Regards,

Pete
Old 06-10-19, 04:10 PM

Hi Mark,

Just rereading your OP. If I misunderstood your question and you are asking whether OR's wore bronzed badges, the answer would be no; Litchfield states they wore brass cap, collars and buttons with service dress. If the question relates only to officers, see my first post.

KR,

Pete
Old 06-10-19, 06:45 PM

Thanks Pete you've answered my questions admirably and far better than I asked them.

What led to my confusion was that the badge has the die-stamped construction of an OR's but is bronzed. You've confirmed that it isn't an OR's.

As per your Lichfield reference, I'll tentatively log it as a post 1930 OSD that has at some point been re-lugged.

All the best
Mark
Old 07-10-19, 04:33 AM

Hi Mark,

Happy to help.

KR,

Pete