British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 13-02-20, 09:19 PM

Question Theatre made or fake

I have had this Royal Artillery/SEAC title some while, I think it came in a job lot and I discarded it as a fake which I think it is due to the spaghetti sewing.

However, is there a chance it was theatre made?

Thanks for looking

Rob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1020653.jpg (41.0 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg P1020654.jpg (48.1 KB, 59 views)
Old 13-02-20, 09:34 PM

They look original to me.
Old 14-02-20, 02:12 AM

Looks like perfectly genuine, but common, titles I've seen that have been made in the Far East.
Old 15-02-20, 10:36 AM

Cool Theatre made or fake

I am surprised that only two members commented on this post, both favourable, thanks chaps.

I would have thought more members would have given their opinions, still for now I will hang on to the item.

Regards Rob
Old 15-02-20, 11:24 AM

Absolutely fine and typical of many made in SEAC.

Others shown.

Jon
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ACC SEAC RMcG.jpg (54.1 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg RASC SEAC JM.jpg (63.5 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg RE SEAC CY.jpg (36.2 KB, 10 views)
Old 15-02-20, 11:34 AM

Default Theatre made

Jon,
Thanks for your thoughts and showing similar items, I do regard many items these days as suspect due to the fact that high prices are commanded by certain cloth badges especially special forces insignia.

This particular item will now be added to my Artillery badge boards.

Rob
Old 15-02-20, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonofacqms View Post
I have had this Royal Artillery/SEAC title some while, I think it came in a job lot and I discarded it as a fake which I think it is due to the spaghetti sewing.

However, is there a chance it was theatre made?

Thanks for looking

Rob
The people doing the spaghetti sewing now are the descendants of those who made the badges 75 years ago using the same methods. The spaghetti sewing is a factor in identifying fake cloth only if the original title was not bazaar made.

No 9 Commando, for example, did not order their shoulder titles from Rawalpindi bazaars. A lot of Indian Army and SEAC units almost certainly did, especially for small production runs.
Old 15-02-20, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Wood View Post
The people doing the spaghetti sewing now are the descendants of those who made the badges 75 years ago using the same methods. The spaghetti sewing is a factor in identifying fake cloth only if the original title was not bazaar made.

No 9 Commando, for example, did not order their shoulder titles from Rawalpindi bazaars. A lot of Indian Army and SEAC units almost certainly did, especially for small production runs.
High Wood
I am slightly confused - No.9 Cdo were not in the far east. They were part of 2 SS/ Cdo Bde in the Mediterranean. Some Theatre made examples for units of 2 SS / Cdo Bde were made in the Mediterranean Theatre though - particularly for 2 Cdo. Of the units of 3 SS / Cdo Bde in the Far East - several have theatre made examples ie No.1 Cdo, No.5 Cdo, No.44 (RM) Cdo.
Al the best
Mike
Old 15-02-20, 03:54 PM

No need to be confused, not even slightly. My point was that 9 Commando were not in the Far East. If one of their cloth shoulder titles turns up on a dealer's list and has the spaghetti like characteristics of a bazaar made badge, it is almost certainly a modern copy made in the Indian sub Continent.

I agree that some overseas units would have sourced cloth badges locally. I probably should have used a better example than No 9 Commando to illustrate my point.
Old 15-02-20, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Wood View Post
No need to be confused, not even slightly. My point was that 9 Commando were not in the Far East. If one of their cloth shoulder titles turns up on a dealer's list and has the spaghetti like characteristics of a bazaar made badge, it is almost certainly a modern copy made in the Indian sub Continent.

I agree that some overseas units would have sourced cloth badges locally. I probably should have used a better example than No 9 Commando to illustrate my point.
Many thanks for the clarification - me being a bit slow - I see what you mean now
Mike