British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Artillery, Royal Engineers and Royal Signals.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 13-01-16, 10:23 AM

Default Theatre made artillery badge?

G'day all,

Hoping that someone could assist me with this badge. I was wondering if it is a theatre made example and a possible date for such a badge, or is it one for the bin collection.

Cheers Nick
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (100.5 KB, 85 views)
Old 13-01-16, 10:24 AM

The reverse.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (84.7 KB, 89 views)
Old 13-01-16, 11:35 AM

Default Royal Artillery

I would say a theatre made sandcast badge, interesting and worth keeping IMO.

Rob
Old 13-01-16, 11:58 AM

Hi Nick

I agree with Rob, locally/theatre made and sandcast. It's hard to differentiate between one made for wear owing to a shortage of the real thing or one made as a souvenir or even repro. Quite possibly the former though, date is difficult too but possibly WW1?

Some collectors don't like these badges at all and would probably say "bin it"; not me though, I would definitely keep it.

David
Old 13-01-16, 01:06 PM

Heres the one i have in my collection I like your one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tmp_6476-user4624_pic96562_1386433461499398876.jpg (67.5 KB, 42 views)
Old 13-01-16, 01:38 PM

Default Sand cast badges

I THINK I may have one of this type of badge...many,many years ago I purchased a set of ww1 medals plus sjt stripe, plus cartridges, dog tag in metal, crowns, 'grenade, badges, RE badges...even a small insignificant piece of shrapnel.
All came in a very dirty, old-tired frame, I only fairly recently managed to remove around a dozen rusty screws to get to the contents!
There is an Engineers badge which seems to have a rough finish to it, so POSS a sand cast example. kinda worried me, thought it might be fake.
The lower backing felt seemed to be covered in soot!? so I guess over an open fire place for many years!
Interestingly, two cartridges, 303, one has a pencil inside it, the other two? Mauser? and they have very strange head stamps, Turkish?
Medals to a Sapper, but I believe he was CQMS. post ww1? R.O. Chapman.
Never went any further with research, decided to carefully and sympathetically clean all as much as I could and leave 'as is' in the original frame, nice little time capsule!
Old 13-01-16, 04:21 PM

Cool Sandcast badges

I have collected these for a number of years and while I do not pay a fortune for them, I do check to see if the unit served in the Middle East or India where most sandcast badge were produced.

I know that repro badges are still made by this method, so once again you have to look and see where the badge came from and what was with it. As with realownlee, if the badge comes with other items there's a good chance it's original.

My thoughts

Rob
Old 14-01-16, 12:15 AM

Thanks for the comments. I'll definitely be keeping it, the only ones that belong in the bin are the modern copies. The badge came from an old antique shop in Nth Qld Australia, with it were some Australian badges of different periods.

Thanks again

Nick
Old 16-01-16, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonofacqms View Post
I have collected these for a number of years and while I do not pay a fortune for them, I do check to see if the unit served in the Middle East or India where most sandcast badge were produced.

I know that repro badges are still made by this method, so once again you have to look and see where the badge came from and what was with it. As with realownlee, if the badge comes with other items there's a good chance it's original.

My thoughts

Rob
This got me to thinking about the cast pieces in my collection. The SWB serving in the areas where sand cast badges would be made. this badge being a 2 piece manufacture.

These badges are interesting, but I still remain somewhat careful when looking at them when no additional provenance is present.

Best
Jack