British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 30-09-12, 09:55 AM

Default 2/24 Glengarry Badge

Hi All
I have never seen or held an original pre-1881 glengarry badge before, but from what I have learnt on the forum, I believe this is genuine but would appreciate some opinions. This is very well made and nice and solid with a great patina. The lugs are brass rather than copper and fitted N-S.
Thanks in advance. Cheers,
Alex
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GG 2nd 24th - 1.jpg (47.6 KB, 110 views)
File Type: jpg GG 2nd 24th - 2.jpg (51.5 KB, 110 views)
File Type: jpg GG 2nd 24th - 3.jpg (76.4 KB, 102 views)
Old 30-09-12, 11:06 AM
Former Member

Here's mine for comparison, although it is a fire gilt and possibly Officers or SNCO's badge . The SWB museum were very happy with it!

Andy
Old 30-09-12, 11:43 AM

Hi Andy
Lovely badge, I would assume an officers. Do you have an opinion on mine? As I said, I haven't ever seen a genuine glengarry badge of this period, for any regiment, so I have no benchmark to go by and would appreciate opinions. My gut feeling is that it is good, but you never know.
Cheers,
Alex
Old 30-09-12, 11:56 AM
Former Member

Alex, GlenG's are not my area so please don't take what I say as Gospel! Yours looks nice, the brass lugs are a possible good sign and also their positioning! On the downside the wear looks a little uneven and the rear detail a bit smooth? I would not like to say one way or they other from the images alone! I'd certainly keep hold of it until 100% certain!

Andy
Old 30-09-12, 12:23 PM

The Gengarrys were usually a yellow brass, but thats by no means set in stone, although K&K state yellow brass, personally I dont think that was always the case.

The patination on the original posted badge does look good, but thats just from the Pic, these things need to be held. Sorry for such a wishy washy answer....

Cheers
Jim
Old 30-09-12, 04:56 PM

Hi Andy / Jim
Thanks for the replies.
Andy - I know what you mean about the rear detail, but the badges is quite thick and heavy, so I think it would have lost some of the detail in the stiking, unlike badges made from thinner material.
Jim - The brass is slightly yellow, though it has signs of age that would be hard to fake. The other thing is the high points have signs of polishing.
With nobody jumping in to say for sure that it is fake, I am happy with this badge
Cheers,
Alex
Old 30-09-12, 05:28 PM

It`s a nice badge, with good lugs. I like it.
Old 30-09-12, 05:42 PM
Former Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Rice View Post
Hi Andy / Jim
Thanks for the replies.
Andy - I know what you mean about the rear detail, but the badges is quite thick and heavy, so I think it would have lost some of the detail in the stiking, unlike badges made from thinner material.
Jim - The brass is slightly yellow, though it has signs of age that would be hard to fake. The other thing is the high points have signs of polishing.
With nobody jumping in to say for sure that it is fake, I am happy with this badge
Cheers,
Alex
Alex,
any idea what the circular marks are around the lugs?

Andy
Old 30-09-12, 08:19 PM

Hi Andy
No idea ... They are barely visible and to be honest I didn't notice them until I saw them in the photos. It looks to me like a mark that may have been left from the soldering process, as if whatever machine is used to place the lug may have had a circular base and some extra solder left a minute tide-mark.
Cheers,
Alex