British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Anodised Aluminium Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 04-04-12, 08:53 PM

Default Badges of Appointment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike H View Post
Ive been pondering this for a day or two.The initial photo that Grey Green Acorn posted showed the rank badge for a pipe major below the rank of colour sgt,but 8th foots Black Watch shows a piper major of above that rank due to the addition of the crown.But is there a difference in size between the crowns for a staff sgt and a warrant officer pipe major if they were wearing the wrist strap rank badge ?
Pipe Major and Drum Major are appointments not ranks and I believe it is possible to hold the appointment as a Sergeant, Colour Sergeant, Warrant Officer Class 2 or Warrant Officer Class 1. As in most things in the British Army there are various ways of displaying rank and appointment in different orders of dress but the 4 inverted chevrons are often included. As suggested by 8thfoot an album would be useful!

Tim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Drum Major KC.jpg (10.1 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpeg Drum Major QC.jpeg (23.4 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg Drum Major.jpg (15.9 KB, 12 views)
Old 06-04-12, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_green_acorn View Post
Pipe Major and Drum Major are appointments not ranks and I believe it is possible to hold the appointment as a Sergeant, Colour Sergeant, Warrant Officer Class 2 or Warrant Officer Class 1. As in most things in the British Army there are various ways of displaying rank and appointment in different orders of dress but the 4 inverted chevrons are often included. As suggested by 8thfoot an album would be useful!

Tim
I understand what youre saying Tim,im sure that the four inverted chevrons indicate the appointment,the pipe or drum the trade so to speak.But the crown indicates that the holder has the rank of staff/colour sgt at least.
I remember my pipe major from training was a QoHLDRS Cpl,he wore no crown on his wristlet.
Old 06-04-12, 05:46 PM

Rare to have a Corporal as a Drum or Pipe Major I should think? unless he was acting up.

The insignia of appointment for a Sergeant is a four point-up chevrons, usually surmounted by a drum (or pipes for Pipe Major)

Staff/Colour Sergeants have a small Crown with the drum/pipes and chevrons

while Warrant Officers have the larger Crown or Crown in Wreath or Royal Arms

Wanted Poppy Pins

Last edited by Mike_2817; 06-04-12 at 06:01 PM.