British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Anodised Aluminium Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 23-12-11, 11:14 AM

Default Liverpool Scottish Cameron -strange lugs

I have the anodised Liverpool Scottish Camerons anodised badge shown in the pictures.

Instead of the attached lugs that this pattern badge usually has,this one has unusual lugs which seem to have been made as part of the badge in the maufacturing process.

I am wondering if it was made as a device for a waist belt clasp or perhaps as a Sporran badge . Does anyone have any other anodised badges with this type of lug and if so do they know what use the badges were intended for ?

Thanks
P.B.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF3271.jpg (62.2 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF3276.jpg (35.7 KB, 104 views)

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 23-12-11, 11:31 AM

Default Belt clasp badges

This one is an Intelligence Corps belt clasp badge with two flat lugs worn on the chrome plated clasp/plate for the stable belt and with white or green plastic belts on (infrequent) parades!

Tim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Int Corps.jpg (59.1 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg Int Corps (2).jpg (74.2 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg Int Corps (3).jpg (55.4 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg Int Corps (4).jpg (36.8 KB, 14 views)
Old 23-12-11, 11:37 AM

Thanks Tim,

That confirms what I was thinking.

Peter

P.S. now need a waist belt plate to fit it on

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 23-12-11, 11:44 AM
Former Member

Peter,
agree 100% with Tim - Belt Plate fittings!

Andy
Old 23-12-11, 09:52 PM

Hi Guys,
I'm not so sure that this is a belt fitting for the Liverpool Scottish. The lugs are in fact a different style to Tim's badge & much more rounded.

I have a similar badge to 8th Foot and have always thought it likely to have been one of those mail order badges from Pakistan made by the azam brothers from Lahore. I hope I am wrong.

If anybody has a catalogue of the a/a badges the Azam brothers used to sell to the U.K I would love to see it.
Regards
Colin
Old 23-12-11, 11:05 PM

Colin,

You could right about those lugs, see these posts. I have 2 Azam catalogues but of course they only show line drawings of badge fronts.

Tim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg az004.jpg (99.0 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg az005.jpg (100.2 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg az006.jpg (99.9 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg az007.jpg (98.7 KB, 29 views)
Old 24-12-11, 12:23 AM

Hi Guys,

These lugs turn up on 'odd' A/A badge snow and again especially on cast items.

From what I can see the badge is not cast though and is a very nice 'full' body badge with just an outline of reverse detail implying that it is an early piece.

As time went on the badges got thinner and thinner with the reverse having an almost mirror level of detail closely following the obverse as per pre A/A badges.

Regards

Chris
Old 24-12-11, 09:53 AM

Hi Guys,
Have a look at this thread from a while back on the Forum. Thanks Tim for supplying some pics of Azam's catalogues. Azam did appear to supply anodised badges to the U.K including Liverpool Scottish badge and many others.
If we can determine any members who purchased these badges on mail order then we may know the answer to these unusual lugs.

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...naught+rangers

Regards
Colin
Old 24-12-11, 10:44 AM

I seem to recall seeing some Azam Brothers badges in the 1970`s and if my memory is right they were truly dreadful items and I dont think anyone would have given them house room even as a temporary gap filler in a collection.

I think that the Kings Regiment may have obtained their first pattern musicians helmet plate from this company but it seems strange that the company would have maufactured badges that would have been readily availble in the UK at the time.

Colin is there any chance you could post pictures of your badge please ?

Peter

Last edited by Peter Brydon; 24-12-11 at 10:59 AM.
Old 24-12-11, 02:46 PM

Hi Peter,
Here is my one for the D.L.O.Y. It has similar lugs to your badge. I also have one to the Lovat Scouts in a box somewhere.
Regards
Colin
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 101_0253.jpg (24.6 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg 101_0254.jpg (19.3 KB, 18 views)
Old 24-12-11, 03:53 PM

Colin,

Attached is a link to an article by Norman Wolden which appeared in the Crown Imperial magazine for Winter 1996.

http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/j...t/img001-3.jpg

Norman is a collector and was in the Duke of Lancasters Own Yeo.

The most interesting part of the article as far as this thread is concerned is from the second but last paragraph in the first column to the end of the article.

I do bump into Norman on a fairly regular basis and I will try and get a picture of one the rear of one of the Pakistan anodised badges made for the regiment.

Peter

Old 24-12-11, 04:12 PM

Hi Peter,
Thanks for that piece of information from Crown Imperial. That article has answered a couple of questions I had about the Duke Of Lancasters own Yeomanry a/a insignia.
Information on the a/a collar badges and the different sized Coronets have baffled me for a couple of years now so I am well pleased.

Luckily for us Norman had written down all this info for future generations of our hobby.
Look forward to any more info Norman has on the possibility of the Pakistani "issued" badges.
Regards
Colin
Old 24-12-11, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8thfoot View Post
Colin,

Attached is a link to an article by Norman Wolden which appeared in the Crown Imperial magazine for Winter 1996.

http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/j...t/img001-3.jpg

Peter
Interesting article. Norman is however misinformed re: 2nd Battn Monmouthshire Regt and Monmouth School. The badge is for the 2nd Battn and there is a sealed pattern card in the Imperial War Museum so described with the A/A badge attached. Monmouth School were probably affiliated to the 2nd Battn and wear their badge.

Regards

Chris
Old 24-12-11, 06:56 PM

I have a Gloucestershire Regiment with identical rounded top lugs with nice neat round hole drilled through them. I always put it down as a belt badge but wasn't quite sure why it was such poor quality compared to my other Gloucestershire AA badges. Pic below doesn't show lugs very well but I can get a better pic in daylight if required.

Paddy
Old 24-12-11, 07:33 PM

Paddy,Chris and Colin,

Thanks

This is becoming more and more interesting. My understanding is that the anodised Liverpool Scottish Cameron badge was not liked by the regiment and even the Liverpool Scottish cadets didnt want them so I cannot see that regiment ordering any from Pakistan.

When I next see Norman I will try and get some pictures of the lugs on a DLOY Pakistan made cap badge to see if it is the same as Colin`s DLOY badge.

It is a pity that no one has examples of badges they ordered directly from Azam Brothers that they could photograph and post.

P.B.