British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Formation Signs and Patches

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 15-12-10, 12:44 PM

Default TRF vs Formation sign vs Arm Badges

Trying to understand the difference between a TRF (Tactical Recognition Flash) and a Formation Sign, I've also seen some refered to as Arm Badges. When would one or the other be worn? Would one wear both a TRF & a formation sign at the same time? I recently saw a smock/coat on ebay with both patches below, one on each shoulder. Are these both TRF's, or is one more accurately a Formation Sign?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rros.jpg (15.0 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 52.jpg (3.6 KB, 2 views)
Old 15-12-10, 12:50 PM

In 2003 the Army Dress Committee (ADC) decided that all Regiments and Corps are required to record their Tactical Recognition Flash (TRF), also Divisions and Brigades are to record their Formation Badge (FB). Each design has to be recorded and registered with the ADC whether or not the badge is subsequently worn. They are not to exceed 60 mm and the design registered if worn will be worn by all, including those who already wear a Drop Zone Flash. However the size of the DZ flash may remain the same unless the TRF changes.

The TRF will be worn on the RIGHT sleeve and the FB on the LEFT sleeve below the Union Flag. All designs are to face forward ie., a forward facing Rat on the right sleeve would face to the rear on the left sleeve, so new ones were made.
Old 15-12-10, 03:00 PM

Further to 54Bty's excellent information the terms Formation Sign and Formation Badge are often used incorrectly. Technically a Formation Badge is worn on clothing while the Formation Sign is displayed on stationery letterheads, vehicles and signboards at Barrack gates and on buildings etc.

Also the introduction of Osprey and other types of body armour and protective clothing has led to the practice of TRFs and Formation Badges sometimes being worn (usually attached by velco) on the chest and on the helmet.
Old 15-12-10, 03:35 PM

Many thanks to 54Bty and grey_green_acorn, their explanations are very helpful.
So it looks like in the example I had, the patches I pictured, the Royal Regiment of Scotland patch (it was on the right sleeve) is the TRF, the 52nd Brigade patch is the Formation Badge.
Is there some public source that shows the authorized TRF's & FB's? I saw a poster of TRF's on one website, but it was so small to make the regiments hard to read, and haven't seen anything on the FB's. I'm curious as to the current FB's for the RROS.
Old 30-12-10, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54Bty View Post
In 2003 the Army Dress Committee (ADC) decided that all Regiments and Corps are required to record their Tactical Recognition Flash (TRF), also Divisions and Brigades are to record their Formation Badge (FB). Each design has to be recorded and registered with the ADC whether or not the badge is subsequently worn. They are not to exceed 60 mm and the design registered if worn will be worn by all, including those who already wear a Drop Zone Flash. However the size of the DZ flash may remain the same unless the TRF changes.

The TRF will be worn on the RIGHT sleeve and the FB on the LEFT sleeve below the Union Flag. All designs are to face forward ie., a forward facing Rat on the right sleeve would face to the rear on the left sleeve, so new ones were made.
This really helps a new collector from Norway, thanks.
Old 30-12-10, 05:50 PM

Not a modern TRF & patch man myself, but have you checked out this site?
Insignia costing pennies in some cases, some others at about a quid & a half:

http://www.ecsnaith.com/badges/trf.html
Old 30-12-10, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh kitchen View Post
Not a modern TRF & patch man myself, but have you checked out this site?
Insignia costing pennies in some cases, some others at about a quid & a half:

http://www.ecsnaith.com/badges/trf.html
Thanks for the info. Just placed an order now, some really nice prices.
Cheers,
Ole