British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Photographs of British Servicemen and Women Wearing Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 05-11-12, 07:37 PM

Default Royal Irish Fusiliers WOII

Hi,

I just got one nice portrait of Warrant Officer from Royal Irish Fusiliers. Picture is made by J.E.Beehan, Rathmines Studio, Dublin.

Does anyone can determinate a period, when this photo was made? Looks like he has two place ribbon bar as well. Unfortunately zooming do not help to see what awards he had. QSA/KSA pair perhaps?

I am always looking early (pre 1939) British ribbon bars with foreign awards; interesting devices or just different construction solutions. Also I am seeking Royal Dublin Fusiliers items. I can help in small scale to research RDF soldiers (MICs, medal rolls, additional information, etc).
Old 05-11-12, 09:10 PM

It is a wonderful portrait and shows a proper officer style, superior cloth jacket, as worn by the sergeant major of battalion (later known as RSM). The twisted cord shoulder straps were changed to ordinary cloth after 1908, so that helps to date the photograph. It would seem unlikely that he survived the war, but I suppose he might have been one of the lucky ones.

The medals might well be QSA and KSA, as you suggest, but the configuration of the ribbons is hard to discern.
Old 05-11-12, 10:06 PM

Great photo, thanks. Is he wearing a one-piece or two-piece hat badge?
Cheers, Tinto
Old 05-11-12, 10:43 PM

Thanks guys for fast replies!

Tinto, that's the best what I can do:

I am always looking early (pre 1939) British ribbon bars with foreign awards; interesting devices or just different construction solutions. Also I am seeking Royal Dublin Fusiliers items. I can help in small scale to research RDF soldiers (MICs, medal rolls, additional information, etc).
Old 06-11-12, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby Purcell View Post
It is a wonderful portrait and shows a proper officer style, superior cloth jacket, as worn by the sergeant major of battalion (later known as RSM). The twisted cord shoulder straps were changed to ordinary cloth after 1908, so that helps to date the photograph. It would seem unlikely that he survived the war, but I suppose he might have been one of the lucky ones.

The medals might well be QSA and KSA, as you suggest, but the configuration of the ribbons is hard to discern.
I concur with you old friend and what a beauty of a photo. As you rightly state a "Sergeant Major", with crown on the lower cuff and not a WOII - which is a popular mis-conception among collectors, unaware of the rank structure and badges pre-1915.
Old 06-11-12, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby Purcell View Post

I have been pondering the survival chances of an infantry S-M of pre-1908.
Not quite as bad I think as at first sight: in six years he might well have retired in that appointment, as time-served, and volunteer to come back ...... in which case there was a decent chance of being held back as an instructor.
Alternatively, he might have been commissioned as QM with a higher chance of action but a risk factor a little below that of a combatant officer [I did some comparative stats once, and they showed a slightly better survival rate for QMs compared with any other officer in a battalion except to RMO.

Since S-Ms of regular battalions were listed in some if not all Army Lists, and since they tended to enjoy a fairly long tenure, and since we can narrow the period to no more than six years, it is possible he might be traced as one of only two or three possible names. Nice job for someone interested in the regiment!

And he looks a man I would rather have as a friend than an enemy.
Old 06-11-12, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Stewart View Post
I concur with you old friend and what a beauty of a photo. As you rightly state a "Sergeant Major", with crown on the lower cuff and not a WOII - which is a popular mis-conception among collectors, unaware of the rank structure and badges pre-1915.
Who ever thought we would still be in contact now Graham, back when we first met in the mid 80s!

I suspect that the jacket was made up by the battalion tailor as there is a lot of bad puckering in the shoulder seams. The collar badges are the officers type of that time, as are the large buttons. That year (1908) the officers adopted an open rever collar to the jacket and a soft collared shirt and tie, but the SM retained the closed collar and thus marked out his status. It is an image that bespeaks an era.

Last edited by Toby Purcell; 06-11-12 at 06:43 PM.
Old 06-11-12, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
I have been pondering the survival chances of an infantry S-M of pre-1908.
Not quite as bad I think as at first sight: in six years he might well have retired in that appointment, as time-served, and volunteer to come back ...... in which case there was a decent chance of being held back as an instructor.
Alternatively, he might have been commissioned as QM with a higher chance of action but a risk factor a little below that of a combatant officer [I did some comparative stats once, and they showed a slightly better survival rate for QMs compared with any other officer in a battalion except to RMO.

Since S-Ms of regular battalions were listed in some if not all Army Lists, and since they tended to enjoy a fairly long tenure, and since we can narrow the period to no more than six years, it is possible he might be traced as one of only two or three possible names. Nice job for someone interested in the regiment!

And he looks a man I would rather have as a friend than an enemy.
Yes, it would be very interesting to trace his fate.
Old 16-11-12, 06:52 PM

No idea how to trace him, however, would be great if it is possible.
I will try to use R.Ir.Fus. pictures for a trade against RDF shot(s), if I can find a R.Ir.Fus collector who wants them .

Here is one more Royal Irish Fusiliers soldier portrait, made in Cairo (Imperial Photo Studio, Cairo). So, he was a 10th Irish Division soldier and I presume around 1915-1916?

Old 17-11-12, 11:19 PM

Here is one more picture. I didnt want to start doing extra threat. What you guys think, whats the unit shoulder title he worn. Can it be some kind a Territorial Royal Garrison Artillery?

I can't figure out his ribbon bar as well. Probably Effiency medal?

Here is the full picture

Old 18-11-12, 03:14 AM

Hi,
Looks like T/RGA/DORSET or T/RGA/DURHAM to me.
Cheers, Tinto

Last edited by Tinto; 18-11-12 at 03:15 AM. Reason: added bit
Old 18-11-12, 08:31 PM

I think the ribbon might be an Ashanti Medal 1900.

Cheers
Jim
Old 18-11-12, 09:48 PM

Thanks guys for info.

Timo