British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Australian Military Insignia > General Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 06-09-08, 08:02 AM

Default Another Unidentified Badge - Genuine this time

Can anyone identify this badge

I have spent quite some time searching without success

The motto is that of Western Australia (where I live) however I can't find the badge listed as belonging to any pre-federation Western Australian regiment/corps

Not a particularly good photo which I will redo - in need

It is a badge - not a medal - as it has lugs on the back
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cygnis Insignis.jpg (32.8 KB, 74 views)
Old 06-09-08, 01:22 PM

hi sarmajor
west aussie police? nice badge. when you redo pic, can you photo the rear also please
bc
Old 06-09-08, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgecollector View Post
hi sarmajor
west aussie police? nice badge. when you redo pic, can you photo the rear also please
bc
Thanks bc - I never thought of the police.

After your tip I went to a Western Australian Police site and, sure enough, you were right.

I will now have to go back to my trunk and try to find it in one of umpteen dozen bags

I am most interested in reading the hallmark on the back as there are 3 versions all of which are of the same metal and which look exactly alike and only appear different because of the makers.

One is listed as extremely rare with the other 2 as very rare. I also have the 3 subsequent police cap badges one of which is also very rare, another very scarce and the current version is just that.

As you suggested I will try and include photos of the rear of badges. I had not done so before as I do not intend to deal or trade in the scarcer badges and did not think that others would be interested.

Thanks again
Old 06-09-08, 09:22 PM

hi sarmajor
im glad you have confirmed your badges history. although i have no interest in police badges this badge is a ripper as was your other pre fed WA badge. nappy to keep seeing more pics of these type of badges.
regardless of whether you intend to sell or trade a badge, the rear is almost as important as the front and in some cases more important than the front. not just to aid in authenticating a genuine from a copy, but to help others with attachment position and in this case the halmarks or manufacturers marks as a reference.
keep the good stuff comming
bc
Old 07-09-08, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgecollector View Post
hi sarmajor
im glad you have confirmed your badges history. although i have no interest in police badges this badge is a ripper as was your other pre fed WA badge. nappy to keep seeing more pics of these type of badges.
regardless of whether you intend to sell or trade a badge, the rear is almost as important as the front and in some cases more important than the front. not just to aid in authenticating a genuine from a copy, but to help others with attachment position and in this case the halmarks or manufacturers marks as a reference.
keep the good stuff comming
bc
Just in conclusion I eventually found the badge again and read the hallmark on the back

It is marked

Thomas Fattorini
Hockley St
BIRMINGHAM

The website containing antique WA police badges states that this badge made by Fattorini in 1922 is very rare

The rear and lugs are in mint condition (allowing for the century that has passed since it was worn) and the badge is undoubtably genuine

Can anyone give me any idea of the ballpark value of such a badge - purley for academic purposes as I have no intention of relinquishing it - especially as I have every variation of Western Australian police badges from then up to the present day

Incidentally the silver bomb with the black swan superimposed that I posted at the same time as the one on which you are commenting (The Albany Garrison Artillery Volunteers) made in the late 19th century is even rarer than the Victorian Military Forces badge as Victoria was (and is) a state whereas Albany is a small regional town on the south western coast of WA and would have been even smaller in the 1980s.

The unit was raised because of a fear at that time of a Russian attack on isolated Western Australia but was only in existence for 17 months until the state joined the new federation of Australia and states then ceased to have their own military forces. The article stated that many members were not even issued with a uniform before it was disbanded

What would anyone's guess be of the value of that badge also?
Old 07-09-08, 09:52 AM

hi
an albany badge sold recently for about $1000 but i would suggest the police badge would be of similar value.
hope that helps
bc