British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > South African Military and Police Insignia > Army

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 15-01-11, 04:17 PM

Default First SAEC Regiment insignia

Something of possibly some interest for Traist: shoulder insignia on a South African BD badged to a member of the First South African Engineer Corp attached to the Eight Army in Italy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BD_SAEC_1.jpg (10.9 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg BD_SAEC_2.jpg (25.2 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg BD_SAEC_3.jpg (52.3 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg BD_SAEC_Insignia_Left.jpg (47.8 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg BD_SAEC_Tag.jpg (49.7 KB, 32 views)
Old 15-01-11, 05:19 PM

This is a very nice piece indeed. These titles(not just SAEC) are hard to come by now. Regards Andrew
Old 15-01-11, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traist View Post
This is a very nice piece indeed. These titles(not just SAEC) are hard to come by now. Regards Andrew
Hello Andrew! 1st SAEC titles are quite an exception to the SA Army rules, since as long as I know arc titles were introduced only after the war, during the war being uses metal arm titles on the orange tab, isn't it?
Old 15-01-11, 05:48 PM

Smile

Great bd . fantastic badges, well done
paj1
Old 16-01-11, 10:22 AM

The SAEC served as field and park companies during the Second World War.

This title is very interesting and requires further research.

As a former Chief of Staff of the SAEC, I will endeavour to find out more from the surviving WW2 and post-war veterans.

If loupie1961 has no objections, I will request details and post the title on the South African and Rhodesian Military Engineers forum.
Old 16-01-11, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loupie1961 View Post
Hello Andrew! 1st SAEC titles are quite an exception to the SA Army rules, since as long as I know arc titles were introduced only after the war, during the war being uses metal arm titles on the orange tab, isn't it?
I also think these titles are post-war.

AFAIK, the 1st and 2nd SAEC Regiments were formed in 1946, by grouping the field companies and field park companies into two administrative battalions, one for each of the divisions into which the post-war Land Forces were organised. At that time, the volunteers' red tab was still being worn on the shoulder strap : it was discontinued in the Permanent Force in late 1949, and in the Citizen Force in 1952.

The SAEC regiments were renamed "1st and 2nd Field Engineer Regiments" in 1956, and were disbanded in 1959.

Arthur
Old 16-01-11, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabrigade View Post
The SAEC served as field and park companies during the Second World War.

This title is very interesting and requires further research.

As a former Chief of Staff of the SAEC, I will endeavour to find out more from the surviving WW2 and post-war veterans.

If loupie1961 has no objections, I will request details and post the title on the South African and Rhodesian Military Engineers forum.
No objections whatsoever......
Old 17-01-11, 04:10 AM

I look forward to what William finds. Which ever way this goes, I think this title is rare. Regards Andrew
Old 17-01-11, 07:58 AM

1 Engineer Regiment was re-established in the late 1980s and was disbanded a few years ago. It was based in Durban and provided immediate engineer support to the then Natal Command. It was classifed as a Regular unit.

2 Field Engineer Regiment still exists and is the combat engineer regiment of the South African Army Engineer Formation. It is based in Bethlehem in the Free State.
Old 17-01-11, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabrigade View Post
1 Engineer Regiment was re-established in the late 1980s and was disbanded a few years ago. It was based in Durban and provided immediate engineer support to the then Natal Command. It was classifed as a Regular unit.

2 Field Engineer Regiment still exists and is the combat engineer regiment of the South African Army Engineer Formation. It is based in Bethlehem in the Free State.
Yes, indeed, these are a later generation of engineer regiments. There are several others - 3 Field Engineer Regiment in Cape Town, for example. The regular (ex-PF) units used to be called 'engineer squadrons', and the reserve (ex-CF) units were 'field squadrons'. IIRC, they were elevated to regimental status in the mid-1980s.

Arthur
Old 17-01-11, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur R View Post
Yes, indeed, these are a later generation of engineer regiments. There are several others - 3 Field Engineer Regiment in Cape Town, for example. The regular (ex-PF) units used to be called 'engineer squadrons', and the reserve (ex-CF) units were 'field squadrons'. IIRC, they were elevated to regimental status in the mid-1980s.
Well, i guess they would rather not make use of 1943 date BD blouses....