British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 09-04-19, 09:12 AM

Default Unknown bullion navy badge

I thought I posted this yesterday but can't find the thread anywhere on the Forum.
Not sure if this Navy badge is Swedish or some other nationality but it does not look British to me, unless it could be a colonial navy? Any help appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NavyBadge.jpg (41.4 KB, 79 views)
Old 09-04-19, 11:37 AM

Default Unknown bullion navy badge

This is certainly not British or from any of the colonial or imperial navies. Not sure which country the crown is from. I'll look at some of my reference books and see if it belongs to any of the Eurpean navies. It's possible it's just a fashion item.

Pete
Old 09-04-19, 11:51 AM

Had a look but no luck. It's not Swedish or any other nation whose badges I looked at. Neither is it a badge for the Imperial German Navy. I admit I'm stumped!

Pete
Old 10-04-19, 08:46 AM

Dear Pete,
Thanks for trying. The badge originated in Tasmania which led me to think of colonial navies. The pre-1901 Tas navy was very small and I have never seen any indication of what their insignia might have been.
Old 10-04-19, 09:08 AM

I guess it is Dutch. The design has not changed over time and there are many, many variations.

https://www.heartsanddaggers.co.uk/b...ion-badge.html

(There is no evidence that the example given is indeed WW2)
Old 10-04-19, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsley View Post
Dear Pete,
Thanks for trying. The badge originated in Tasmania which led me to think of colonial navies. The pre-1901 Tas navy was very small and I have never seen any indication of what their insignia might have been.
We didn't have a navy as such, TB1, the torpedo boat, was owned by the Tasmanian Torpedo Corps, the renamed Tasmanian Engineers, who reverted back to that title towards the end of the 1890s when we got rid of TB1 (sold to South Australia I think). They wore standard Tasmanian Defence Force badges with TTC shoulder titles.

Keith
Old 11-04-19, 04:18 AM

Thanks to both of you. It certainly looks similar to the Dutch navy badge, obviously another variation. I had a TTC title years ago, should have kept it.
Old 13-04-20, 09:54 AM

This is definite a Dutch Navy cap badge worn on the peaked cap. It is silver embroider which indicates it belongs to an officer of Administration. Looking at the old crown this is definite a pre- or war time badge.