British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > South African Military and Police Insignia > Photographs of South African Servicemen and Women Wearing Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 09-09-18, 08:56 PM

Default Ist type SAAF Eagle Finial

This is a 1st Type SAAF Swooping Eagle finial, some have said these date back to just after WW1 and there is no actual proof of this but appear to have been worn up to the mid to late 1930's by some Officers possibly Aide de Camps. See officer on left.

I have only ever seen this one picture of it actually being worn, would appreciate more info or pictures. Feel free to contribute to this thread.

I purchased this one 2 years ago being sold as a "Imperial German Helmet Ornament" or so the label said .... !

Brian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Finial SAAF Helmet Eagle 004.jpg (36.9 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg Finial SAAF EAGLE FINIAL.jpg (69.9 KB, 72 views)
Old 09-09-18, 09:05 PM

I've never seen or heard of these helmet fittings before - very interesting items.
Old 09-09-18, 10:25 PM

Yes, I agree, very interesting. Thanks for posting.
Phil.
Old 10-09-18, 05:44 AM

Hi Brian
That's a fantastic piece and amazing photo. Have you id'd the senior officer sitting? I though maybe Sir Pierre VR but I think not. Nice to see the rare embroidered collar badges being worn as well. Are the other 2 senior officers also Air Force? The helmets look the same as the captain but no brevets, though the guy on the left may have one slightly hidden by his aiguillette?I'm very interested because I'd never thought of the Air Force using the staff cap badge, so that's news to me. Can you see if the badges are just the lion on the crown or the lion holding the staves on the crown?
Thanks, cheers,
Alex
Old 10-09-18, 07:30 AM

A very good buy and a very handsome eagle, certainly not a nasty Prussian one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conyngham View Post
This is a 1st Type SAAF Swooping Eagle finial, some have said these date back to just after WW1 and there is no actual proof of this but appear to have been worn up to the mid to late 1930's by some Officers possibly Aide de Camps. See officer on left.

I have only ever seen this one picture of it actually being worn, would appreciate more info or pictures. Feel free to contribute to this thread.

I purchased this one 2 years ago being sold as a "Imperial German Helmet Ornament" or so the label said .... !

Brian
Old 10-09-18, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kelley View Post
A very good buy and a very handsome eagle, certainly not a nasty Prussian one!
Frank

I was over the moon with this buy.

Brian
Old 10-09-18, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Rice View Post
Hi Brian
That's a fantastic piece and amazing photo. Have you id'd the senior officer sitting? I though maybe Sir Pierre VR but I think not. Nice to see the rare embroidered collar badges being worn as well. Are the other 2 senior officers also Air Force? The helmets look the same as the captain but no brevets, though the guy on the left may have one slightly hidden by his aiguillette?I'm very interested because I'd never thought of the Air Force using the staff cap badge, so that's news to me. Can you see if the badges are just the lion on the crown or the lion holding the staves on the crown?
Thanks, cheers,
Alex
Alex I think the chap on the right was one of the Brinks, maybe George? Will try and find out more, Im sure there is a similar uniform in the SAAF museum?

Will Endley sent me this pic, he would have been able to confirm who is who.

Brian
Old 10-09-18, 09:02 AM

Very nice eagle and photo, Brian.

The officer standing on the right certainly looks like George Brink. The one sitting down is Maj Gen Andries Brink, who was Chief of the General Staff 1920-33. The SAAF captain on the left could be Barend Viljoen, who joined the SAAF in 1927 and became Air Chief of Staff in the 1950s.

Arthur
Old 10-09-18, 09:31 AM

Was George Brink Air Force? There are 3 Brinks in the the new book of WWI Airmen of the Great War by Schoeman & Bisset but neither of these are listed.
Cheers,
Alex
Old 10-09-18, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Rice View Post
Was George Brink Air Force? There are 3 Brinks in the the new book of WWI Airmen of the Great War by Schoeman & Bisset but neither of these are listed.
No, he was SA Staff Corps. The officers with plumes on their helmets are all SA St C.

Arthur
Old 11-09-18, 06:05 AM

Thanks Arthur.
I don't know much about the make up of the Staff Corps so thought maybe Air Force personnel on posts within the corps.
Cheers,
Alex
Old 23-09-18, 09:15 AM

That photograph was taken at the opening of Parliament in the 1930s. The officers are Capt Viljoen , Major Charles Meredith , Col George Brink (at that time OC Cape Command) and sitting is Maj Gen AJE Brink, Chief SA General Staff.

Viljoen I think became a Major-General and Chief of air Staff in the 1960s.

George Brink was OC Cape Command, then Director Military Operations, GOC 1 Division, GOC Inland Area, at some point I think DCGS and eventually Director General of Demobilisation as Lt Gen.

Meredith was ex SAAF and was a Staff Officer at the Castle during the 1930s. He later went to Rhodesia where he commanded the Rhodesian Air Training Group. He retired as Air Vice Marshal Sir Charles. A relative of mine was on staff of OC Cape Command in the 1920s & 1930s and Meredith's signature appears often on his conduct sheets.

Andries Brink was CGS until succeeded by van Ryneveld in 1938 I think. He retired as a Lt Gen.

I will see if I can dig out the dates for the change from eagle to springbok. The change of ornament had something to do with the weight or balance of it IIRC
Old 24-09-18, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milhistry View Post
That photograph was taken at the opening of Parliament in the 1930s. The officers are Capt Viljoen , Major Charles Meredith , Col George Brink (at that time OC Cape Command) and sitting is Maj Gen AJE Brink, Chief SA General Staff.

Viljoen I think became a Major-General and Chief of air Staff in the 1960s.

George Brink was OC Cape Command, then Director Military Operations, GOC 1 Division, GOC Inland Area, at some point I think DCGS and eventually Director General of Demobilisation as Lt Gen.

Meredith was ex SAAF and was a Staff Officer at the Castle during the 1930s. He later went to Rhodesia where he commanded the Rhodesian Air Training Group. He retired as Air Vice Marshal Sir Charles. A relative of mine was on staff of OC Cape Command in the 1920s & 1930s and Meredith's signature appears often on his conduct sheets.

Andries Brink was CGS until succeeded by van Ryneveld in 1938 I think. He retired as a Lt Gen.

I will see if I can dig out the dates for the change from eagle to springbok. The change of ornament had something to do with the weight or balance of it IIRC
Thanks for clarifying this photograph with names and a date.
Old 08-01-23, 04:14 PM

Default A SAAF 'Flying Springbok' helmet finial

My father joined the SAAF from the SSB and this was his helmet finial - also have uniform buttons from that time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SAAF Helmet Ornament.jpg (26.5 KB, 13 views)