British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Cavalry, Yeomanry, Tank/RAC Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 29-04-14, 09:07 AM

Wink North of Ireland Imperial Yeomanry bonnet badge?

Hi all,

The attached badge is all WM with a circlet inscribed North of Ireland Imperial Yeomanry as per K&K 1393 and Wilkinson 217. However, instead of it bearing the Irish harp (described as an Angel harp in Gaylor for plate 52) it bears what I would describe as a reverse facing KC Irish harp.

The badge measures 78mm H x 49mm W. It has the harp lugged and pierced through the main backing badge and there are the stubs of a broach fitting. The harp looks like a collar ?

An Officer's silver bonnet badge is shown on the North irish Horse website

http://www.northirishhorse.com.au/NI...tures/NIIY.htm

which has a broached badge of this proportion but with the Irish harp to the centre as a separate piece like an Officers helmet plate insert.

The National Army Museum also has an Officers hat badge as per the above

http://www.nam.ac.uk/online-collecti...=1976-08-26-17

So I am at a loss - is this the OR's version but a variant there of. I note they were worn on a coloured rosette some 10cm diameter.

I don't think this badge has been made to decieve as the backing with broach fitting looks right. The centre piece just throws me.

I submit myself to your mercy, regards Dean.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5666.jpg (62.0 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5667.jpg (44.5 KB, 45 views)
Old 29-04-14, 10:49 AM

Dean,

I think that perhaps someone replaced a missing central device with whatever they could find that was similar to the missing part.

Peter

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 29-04-14, 10:55 AM

Location: In Luxembourg for the last 20 years and staying. They take much better care of us here....

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooke07 View Post
Hi all,

The attached badge is all WM with a circlet inscribed North of Ireland Imperial Yeomanry as per K&K 1393 and Wilkinson 217. However, instead of it bearing the Irish harp (described as an Angel harp in Gaylor for plate 52) it bears what I would describe as a reverse facing KC Irish harp.

The badge measures 78mm H x 49mm W. It has the harp lugged and pierced through the main backing badge and there are the stubs of a broach fitting. The harp looks like a collar ?

An Officer's silver bonnet badge is shown on the North irish Horse website

http://www.northirishhorse.com.au/NI...tures/NIIY.htm

which has a broached badge of this proportion but with the Irish harp to the centre as a separate piece like an Officers helmet plate insert.

The National Army Museum also has an Officers hat badge as per the above

http://www.nam.ac.uk/online-collecti...=1976-08-26-17

So I am at a loss - is this the OR's version but a variant there of. I note they were worn on a coloured rosette some 10cm diameter.

I don't think this badge has been made to decieve as the backing with broach fitting looks right. The centre piece just throws me.

I submit myself to your mercy, regards Dean.
I have never, ever seen one like this Dean. Mind you, I have only seen around 5/6 of this type (and I am talking about when these used to turn up (regularly) at W&W auctions during the 70's/80's. What you may have is a repaired one. As far as I am aware it should be one piece. Its "probably" not meant to deceive as such but I would go for it being a repaired version.
PS: its not even the correct harp...
David

Last edited by wright241; 29-04-14 at 10:57 AM. Reason: typo
Old 29-04-14, 11:07 AM

Thanks Peter and David,

Yes I would agree that it looks like a replacement centre and that is what intrigued me when I first saw it and led me to acquire it.

I have seen one on one of the dealers sites and the rear has holes for the loops to pass through like mine and the central hole is the same and the broach position is the same and so I think the backing plate is spot on.

I don't know if I could find a replacement centre piece but i guess I will just imagine if it was done in the field rather than after the event. I am trying to identify the KC harp.

Cheers Dean
Old 29-04-14, 11:24 AM

Location: In Luxembourg for the last 20 years and staying. They take much better care of us here....

London Irish, RUC??
However, the one normally fitted is quite wide - so I am not sure either of the above would "do"... If you don't have the measurements, let me know and I will email you pics/sizes of the harp.
David
Old 29-04-14, 11:38 AM

Hi David,

The central span is 30mm in diameter on the badge so would be interested in what would fit as a replacement for Dave to work his magic on it. Pics and sizes of the correct harp would be appreciated - cheers Dean
Old 29-04-14, 11:55 AM

Dean,
Some sizes for you.
Rgds, David

The dish is exactly 31mm in diam
The width of the harp is 23.61mm
The height of the harp is 26.6mm
The fixing holes are 16.5mm apart

Hope this helps

Rgds, David
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NIImpYeoFront.jpg (36.7 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg NIImpYeoFrontDetail.jpg (105.9 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg NIImpYeoRear01.jpg (59.7 KB, 14 views)
Old 29-04-14, 11:57 AM

Dean,
From what I have had a very glance through, you (i.e.e Dave) may have to butcher a badge for the harp.....
David
Old 29-04-14, 12:01 PM

Thanks ever so much David that provides a great guide. I will see what I can use to salvage a harp from and let Dave have at least half an hour to sort this one out !

Be back in the UK in under 3 weeks time so may be easier to acquire a harp.

Cheers Dean
Old 29-04-14, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooke07 View Post
Thanks ever so much David that provides a great guide. I will see what I can use to salvage a harp from and let Dave have at least half an hour to sort this one out !

Be back in the UK in under 3 weeks time so may be easier to acquire a harp.

Cheers Dean
Strangely, although the size of the harp is larger, the North Irish Brigade harp (the bun is slightly different) is pretty close (i.e. the top part of the angels wing shape).
Whats annoying me is that I have seen or did own, one of the Irish Militia badges - could also have been a collar..... with a harp just like it.... Good luck
david
Old 29-04-14, 12:26 PM

Dean,
The center device with the crown was a Royal Ulster Constabulary collar badge.
Eddie
Old 29-04-14, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebro View Post
Dean,
The center device with the crown was a Royal Ulster Constabulary collar badge.
Eddie
Eddie, Nice one. I never kept any of my RUC stuff - so that would explain why its lingering in my memory. Not sure how difficult/comparative cost would be, but it might be worth the sacrifice.....?
David
Old 29-04-14, 02:54 PM

I wonder if the angel harp from an Irish Regiment of Canada badge might fit ?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/The-Irish-...item5afc5c8ced

P.B.

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 29-04-14, 06:06 PM

Thanks Eddie, David and Peter for the further input and advice. Collar identified and potential replacement suggestions. The hunt begins.

Cheers Dean

Tags
north ireland iy