British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Navy and Royal Marines

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 21-12-21, 07:28 PM

Default Nabbed the Fourth One!!!

I have finally obtained the fourth cap tally for the four medical ships involved in the Falklands Conflict - SS Uganda (hospital ship), plus HMS Hecla, HMS Herald and HMS Hydra. I will be having them in hand shortly after the new year as I don't want them lost in the Christmas crunch.

Now my question is what/how is the best way to display them or keep them. They are all four full length tallies.

Thanks,

Terry
Old 21-12-21, 10:16 PM

Might I suggest framing them with photographs of SS Uganda and one of the Hecla Class.
Do not cut the tallies, but place them on a matt so that another matt can go over them with the titles displayed. Conserves the tallies and helps tell the story.

Phil

Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur

Hanlon's razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Old 21-12-21, 10:30 PM

Well done Terry, Here is mine but only S.S. UGANDA (full size but folded) along with a ships officer cap badge of the MV Cedarbank (Bankline) I sailed on to the Falkland Islands in 1982

JERRY
ROYAL ENGINEERS/BRITISH ARMY CORPS & SERVICES/BRITISH LEGION/ROYAL BRITISH LEGION (see albums)
Old 22-12-21, 03:04 AM

Many thanks Phil and jerry. I wouldn't think of cutting them, so no worry there. I went to great lengths to get full tallies. I may frame them and add an acid free mat over them, and I already have pictures of all 4 ships.

Jerry, that is a very nice tally - where did you come by it? And, love the officers badge from your ship. Did you just ask him for it? My Uganda tally is also SS Uganda, as she was never taken into the Royal Navy sailing with her civilian crew to the conflict. Since she was not taken into the RN, she remained a civilian ship, but was then registered as a hospital ship. As such she had to advise the Argentines her location at all times, and display all of her lights at night. The three ambulance ships of the Hecla class ferried wounded from the battle zone to the Uganda, and from the Uganda to Montevideo for hospitalization.

I have been told the Uganda civilian crew didn't wear the sailor hats with the tally, but mostly helmets. No matter, I still wanted one.

A real treasure in my library, is a signed copy of Nicci Pugh's book "White Ship Red Crosses: A Nursing Memoir of the Falklands War" that a fellow forum member got for me. I absolutely love it as she was one of the 40 QARNNS nurses who served on board Uganda.

Again, my very sincere thanks gentlemen!

Terry
Old 22-12-21, 07:34 AM

Terry, Both tally & cap badge came from eBay in the last couple of years. At the time,1982 I was not "into" badge collecting.
I did pick up a pair of Falkland Islands Defence Force shoulder title's while working in the Moody Brook area.
I kept one and gave the other away...
Jerry
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FALKLAND ISLAND DEFENCE FORCE#.jpg (39.2 KB, 31 views)

JERRY
ROYAL ENGINEERS/BRITISH ARMY CORPS & SERVICES/BRITISH LEGION/ROYAL BRITISH LEGION (see albums)

Last edited by engr9266; 22-12-21 at 10:20 AM.
Old 22-12-21, 06:25 PM

Love it Jerry!!!

Thanks for the info re the Uganda Tally and ships officer's badge.

What a fascinating hobby we have, and what a blessing this forum and it's members are!!!

Terry