British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Cavalry, Yeomanry, Tank/RAC Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 06-07-15, 03:19 PM

Default Queen's Own Yeomanry

I an not entirely sure what I have here as K&K describe the Queen's Own Yeomanry cap badge as, 'a running fox on a scroll inscribed Queen's Own Yeomanry. The fox gold-anodised, the scroll silver-anodised. Sealed 29th March 1972'.

Unless I am misunderstanding the term anodised what I have is a brass and white metal cap badge.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Help 033.jpg (117.0 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg Help 034.jpg (111.5 KB, 40 views)
Old 06-07-15, 03:32 PM

I have had examples of this badge in bi metal, anodised and silver and gilt.

P.B.

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 06-07-15, 03:42 PM

Thank you Peter. The silver and gilt I can understand being produced for officers. I don't understand why bi-metal badges were produced when anodised badges were the norm.
Old 06-07-15, 03:44 PM
Super Moderator

The regtl PRI website did sell them as NCO's badge. You would need to find an ex-member to confirm this.
Old 06-07-15, 06:32 PM

Hi Chaps

I've been told that the issue badges (from the early 1970's) were anodised, as you would expect (with officers wearing silver/gilt versions). However, senior NCO's were allowed to wear the bi-metal badge as a private purchase item. This seems to tie in with Alan's post.

However, Gaylor states that the bi-metal badges were worn on collective regimental occasions with the old badges of the four component regiments being worn at squadron level.

The first explanation sounds more logical to me.

I should mention that these badges seem to have been available in quantity over the past several years, at least here in Yorkshire. Far more than you would expect for a badge worn only by senior NCO's but perhaps that's simply because they have been made available through the website as Alan mentions.

David
Old 06-07-15, 06:59 PM

David,

That is not how I read Gaylor, he says ".....a new badge was struck for a new regiment, a brass fox with w/m title scroll below in a/a finish for wear on collective regimental training "

Peter

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 06-07-15, 07:31 PM

Hi Peter

I think we must be looking at different editions. The most recent one I have is the revised 7th edition of 2003 -

".....form The Queen's Own Yeomanry in 1971 and a new badge was struck for the new regiment, a brass fox with white metal title-scroll below (Plate 52) for wear on collective regimental training......"

If yours is an older edition then perhaps some new info came to light. I have some older editions but they are packed away in the loft and I'm too lazy to go and look for them!
If yours is a newer edition then perhaps the "a/a finish" bit was added as a correction,

David

PS.....it's difficult to say whether the badge shown in plate 52 is bi-metal or anodised,

Last edited by davidwyke; 06-07-15 at 07:45 PM. Reason: additional info
Old 06-07-15, 07:49 PM

David,

The Queens Own Yeomanry is not mentioned ( as far as I can see ) in my 1971 ( First ) edition.

The quote is from the Third edition.

You may well be right that further information came to light.

Edwards 6th Edition only refers to an anodised badge- silver fox on a silver scroll- surely an error.

Peter
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0901.jpg (62.1 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0902.jpg (49.3 KB, 23 views)

Old 06-07-15, 08:22 PM

Hi Peter

Interesting! The question is, did new info come to light between your edition of Gaylor and mine or did my (later) edition just omit the anodised bit in error? Who knows, but the anodised wording would make more sense.

I think Edwards is definitely wrong with an all silver anodised version, I'm fairly sure such a badge doesn't exist.

David
Old 06-01-21, 10:48 AM

Is there any QOY in all gilding metal? I have seen in surplus stores online but I don't know if it is a variant or just for collectors market...
Old 06-01-21, 11:10 AM

Hello
While serving in the Scots DG I came across a number of QOY Ayrshire Yeomanry Sqn chaps.
One, a friend of mine, gave me his fox cap badge, which he wore in his 3 years or so service in the AY Sqn QOY, before he joined Scots DG, it was the bi metal one, and he was a Trooper, he had an a/a one for his SD cap.
And there was indeed a Sil/gilt one for officers.
Hope this helps.
Chris
Old 06-01-21, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dg View Post
Hello
While serving in the Scots DG I came across a number of QOY Ayrshire Yeomanry Sqn chaps.
One, a friend of mine, gave me his fox cap badge, which he wore in his 3 years or so service in the AY Sqn QOY, before he joined Scots DG, it was the bi metal one, and he was a Trooper, he had an a/a one for his SD cap.
And there was indeed a Sil/gilt one for officers.
Hope this helps.
Chris
I'm sure there is Chris,it can definitely be found in bullion
Old 06-01-21, 11:55 AM

From IWM collections..
https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/30070492
Old 06-01-21, 12:33 PM

I mean...the correct badge is in two colours...fox and scroll, both in gilding metal it would be incorrect...right?
Old 06-01-21, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trubia26 View Post
I mean...the correct badge is in two colours...fox and scroll, both in gilding metal it would be incorrect...right?
I have never seen this badge as all GM, the PRI bought ones are bi metal, I think it must be a copy, fake or fantasy, perhaps all 3!
Hope this helps

Chris