British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 12-06-22, 06:06 AM

Default KOSB and Leeds Rifles - original "

Hello gentlemen,
i have two badges in my small collection with some doubts if they are period WWI original or restrikes/fakes.

1) KingĀ“s Own Scottish Borderers (K&K 628), white metal, two lugs with split pin, 66x48mm, weight 15,5g.
The contours and edges obverse are not realy "sharp", looks like a weak struck or polished down. Good or bad ?

2) Leeds Rifles 7th Bat. (K&K 1712), brass with slider, 55x42mm, weight 12,0g.
The crown reverse secured with two soldered on round pieces of metal.
I found here some threads that the badges without a dot behind "P.O.W" are doubtfull ? Good or bad?

Thanks in advance for your help and kind regards
Markus
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN8657.jpg (69.2 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN8658.jpg (64.6 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN8655.jpg (67.4 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN8656.jpg (67.1 KB, 90 views)
Old 12-06-22, 11:14 AM
Super Moderator

Both look original to me.

The 8th has been restruck so the vast majority of the P.W.O versions are fakes but yours is good. The style of the slider and the brass rods are different from the fakes.

It is my opinion that this badge was an early TF association purchase as the extra void and the wires would be an expense that the Army Clothing Department would not bother with when the sealed the pattern in 1916.

Alan

Last edited by Alan O; 12-06-22 at 04:30 PM.
Old 12-06-22, 04:13 PM

Thanks Alan for your expertise !

You have made my day, i am happy that both are original, nice and the 7th is one of the not so common badges, i guess.

Kind regards
Markus
Old 12-06-22, 04:30 PM
Super Moderator

Markus

It is a rare badge although the 7th fakes are not as common as the 8th. Yours is only the 3rd original I have ever seen with the void and strengtheners.

The 8th Leeds Rifles P.W.O (no 3rd dot) with void has been very widely faked and ebay is full of them.

Alan
Old 12-06-22, 04:39 PM

Thanks again Alan,
now i am still more lucky about this badge, there are only about 20 regimental cap badges in my collection and i have no idea which are very common and which are rare.
Of cause, smaller unit =>older period = more rare than larger units => younger period.
I have just aquired several books about british headdress badges, also K&L vol.1 + 2, is there also a guide to the relations of rarity published ?

Best wishes
Markus
Old 13-06-22, 12:05 AM

The KOSB is actually genuine as mentioned, but one of the worst strikes I have ever seen of this badge. The squared off feet of the lugs is commonly seen on WW1 era badges, along with the very short lugs which were often pinched to lengthen them a bit; so this may be one of those "Saturday Night Special" crudities of this time frame.

CB