British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 29-04-13, 12:59 AM

Default 78TH HIGHLANDERS

Hi all just wanted to ask what period of use and on what was this pattern of badge for. Not sure on it's validity, but wanted to know more about the use etc.

Cheers
Simon.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg $T2eC16VHJGwFFZSO-uchBRdFB))Z(!~~60_57.jpg (50.7 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg $T2eC16VHJH8E9qSEWJ3,BRdFB+qdwQ~~60_57.jpg (61.2 KB, 55 views)
Old 29-04-13, 06:19 AM
Former Member

Simon,
it looks like a PTG, although with copper lugs I'd be careful, despite the repair?

Andy
Old 29-04-13, 12:29 PM

Andy

Pardon my ignorance, but what is a PTG? I will probably figure it out but I have just come off a 12 hour nightshift. LOL

Cheers Paul.
Old 29-04-13, 01:04 PM

Location: In Luxembourg for the last 20 years and staying. They take much better care of us here....

Pre-Territorial Glengarry
Old 03-05-13, 10:35 PM

Well, it arrived today. I'm not sure, as it's well out of my usual area; but took a chance.

Any one thinks it's OK.

Cheers all

Simon.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9179.jpg (75.1 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9180.jpg (56.1 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9178.jpg (74.4 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9177.jpg (74.7 KB, 15 views)
Old 04-05-13, 01:17 AM

Hi Simon,
I think you have a good badge there, albeit repaired near the crown.
Here is mine for comparison, it has just the one lug.
Cheers, Tinto
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 78thFoot.jpg (32.8 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg 78thFootrev.jpg (29.0 KB, 24 views)
Old 04-05-13, 12:22 PM

Hi Tinto, thanks for the thumbs up. I wasn't sure and I said; took a chance. Would you have some background on it, date, use etc etc.

Cheers

Simon.

Oh, here's the front and back.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 78th highlanders album.jpg (80.5 KB, 11 views)
Old 04-05-13, 12:40 PM

Location: In Luxembourg for the last 20 years and staying. They take much better care of us here....

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGSHANKS View Post
Hi Tinto, thanks for the thumbs up. I wasn't sure and I said; took a chance. Would you have some background on it, date, use etc etc.

Cheers

Simon.

Oh, here's the front and back.
Simon, For what its worth, Peter's book mentions the "RHI" spelling as being pre-1869. After that date, it was corrected to "RIGH". David
Old 04-05-13, 12:46 PM

Hi David, wow; it's oldest badge I have.

Cheers

Simon
Old 04-05-13, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Hi David, wow; it's oldest badge I have.

Cheers

Simon
Apart from us that is..........
Old 04-05-13, 01:39 PM

Dave, what value would you put on this one, if you have any idea.

Cheers

Simon.
Old 04-05-13, 02:14 PM

Hi Dave.

I was just looking in K&K and it states it was all brass. I think this may be a bad sign, as it looks to be in a white metal.

Regards

Simon.
Old 04-05-13, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Hi Dave.

I was just looking in K&K and it states it was all brass. I think this may be a bad sign, as it looks to be in a white metal.

Regards

Simon.
Simon, I wouldn't worry about material just as yet, as Geoff's book does mention a variety of types of material for this badge. Die struck brass is ok. I showed a few of mine to Prescott Pickup at a fair some time ago. I have the various 83rd and 86th PTG's and (apart from the ones I have being ok) he mentioned some good tips (as has Peter) were the strikings being 'very' sharp and crisp, the weight of the copies "usually" being heavier by some 6/8 grammes - which Peter Seaman also commented on, additionally, the loops (as mentioned in his book) should be brass and not copper. However, if they have been repaired and everything else is "going for them", then they may have been repaired i.e. I would NOT write a GG off just because the loops are wrong - these things happen..... The fact that the loops are "growing" out of the badge is a very good sign. Telling the difference between GM and brass would also help (I have problems here).
Although the loops on the fox restrikes were the wrong way round, I am not certain this is a 100%, infallible rule.
I don't have a 78th GG otherwise I would weigh it, but the "general" weight of the ones I have (which I believe to be genuine for the reasons mentioned) runs from 11g to 25g (these include the circlet and non-circlet type).
The heaviest one at 25g is a voided 93rd GG with the additional Balaclava scroll.
And just to spoil the party, I have nice 86th GG which is kosher and has E&W brass lugs.... Even the dimples on the back of the strap are nice and sharp (it weighs in at 17.5g - but I don't have a copy anymore to compare the weight). And, although the 2nd 83rdF type has brass N&S lugs, the 3rd type has E&W... But both of these GG's are deemed kosher.

I also have a voided 42ndF which I reckon is ok and it only weighs 19.5g. I recall the Fox/restrike one weighed in at 24g.

Its difficult being specific about prices etc - as usual, if you want it more than anyone else, then..... They seem to go (as individual items) from 120 upwards for the standard types. Peter Seaman may be able to throw more light on yours for you. I have always found him helpful and his tips have been invaluable - as is his 2nd edition glengarry book.
Hope this is of some help. Back to cataloging.....

Good luck, David
Old 04-05-13, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Hi Dave.

Regards

Simon.
Simon, Just noticed your comment about WM. A WM version is mentioned his book - apparently (and he mentions it in his book) the WM version was allegedly made for the "Pictou Regiment" from 1910-21!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
David
Old 04-05-13, 04:05 PM

Has Peter Seaman written a book on Glengarry badges ?

P.B.

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”