British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Other Militaria

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 01-06-11, 08:15 PM

Smile RFA Expert wanted:Service Records?

I hope you'll excuse me using this forum for a question unrelated to badges, but this is almost my last hope! I'm trying to identify my Grandfathers unit in WW1. You'd think given the information I know it would be a relatively easy task - but I've exhausted almost every avenue I can think of over a number of years!
I definately know that he was in the Royal Field Artillery, and his rank was acting Sgt, his Regimental number was 70291. I'm fairly certain he was conscripted and that his unit is likely to be a Lancashire one which served in France.
I would dearly love to know his actual unit/brigade/division - ( I can get the shoulder title then!) but here's my problem all of the war office records were destroyed in WW2.

So here's my question: Did the war office allocate regimental numbers in sequence by unit ? Is it possible to tell just by the number which brigade he served in? Does anyone know of RFA men with similar/close numbers?
Yes I know it's a long shot but any help or advise would be much appreciated.
Many thanks Tim
Old 01-06-11, 10:18 PM

Hi
There may be additional info on the medal index card, see link
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/d...1&mediaarray=*
Lee
Old 02-06-11, 07:48 AM
Administrator

I'm no expert on numbers but don't think you will make much progress with a 5 digit number to the RA. 6 digit numbers to the territorial force are a different matter.

Probably your only chance is the absent voter's list, but to be on it he has to be absent during the spring of 1918... then it depends on the detail the list compiler included - my local absent voters list does show many sub-units for RA and RE (but not for everyone)

Even if the absent voters list includes his battery there's no guarantee of the length of time he served in the specific one mentioned, So you've pretty much had it as far as an accurate picture is concerned without his service papers.

[you might get a more definitive answer on the Great War Forum or the British Medal Forum]
Old 02-06-11, 08:13 AM
Administrator

just out of interest the closest casualty to your ancestor's number is this one:

http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_...sualty=1543302

(70295)

41st Battery, 42nd Brigade, but as stated I don't think it means anything.
Old 02-06-11, 01:14 PM

Many thanks Mike, appreciate the efforts, I always thought it would be a long shot!