British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Other Militaria

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 14-05-11, 11:33 AM

Default 42nd Foot Victorian swagger stick?

Hi
Picked up this swagger stick this morning. The badge is well worn on the end but the 42 inside the badge is still visible and what looks like a Victorian Crown. I am assuming this is a 42nd Foot swagger stick and would date to the Victorian period. The stick itself has a leather coating and the top and bottom have obviously been on this stick a very long time as the seams have not been altered since fitting.
I would like to know if it's possibe to try to put a date range on when this stick may have been made or just that it covers Queen Victorias reign.

I would welcome any advice or opinions.

Thanks

Rob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 42nd 2.jpg (33.3 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg 42nd 3.jpg (59.7 KB, 21 views)
Old 15-05-11, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffrocks View Post
Hi
Picked up this swagger stick this morning. The badge is well worn on the end but the 42 inside the badge is still visible and what looks like a Victorian Crown. I am assuming this is a 42nd Foot swagger stick and would date to the Victorian period. The stick itself has a leather coating and the top and bottom have obviously been on this stick a very long time as the seams have not been altered since fitting.
I would like to know if it's possibe to try to put a date range on when this stick may have been made or just that it covers Queen Victorias reign.

I would welcome any advice or opinions.

Thanks

Rob
Hi
Thought I'd just give this a push to see if anyone out there can help with the stick and if my assumtions are right about it being Victorian and it being the 42nd Foot.
Hope one of you guys can help me.

Many thanks if you can.

Rob
Old 16-05-11, 07:58 PM

Hi Rob,
It looks like a Victorian crown to me & with the 42 in the centre it would certainly purport to be what you think it is! You should be able to narrow the date range down to when they changed the numbering to titles, I'm sure someone will know this off the top of their heads but I would have to dig a book out!
Regards....Andy
Old 16-05-11, 09:21 PM

I am going to stab at this at 1868-1881. the first date is a guess, the second for sure.......

No idea really about scottish regiments, but have a yearning to learn more.
Old 16-05-11, 10:17 PM
Banned

Default 42nd Foot

Although it is generally assumed that precedence numbers ended in 1881, the 42nd is one regiment where it is known that NCOs continued to wear buttons and badges bearing the regimental number well towards the end of the century. The likely date span of your stick is c.1855 to c.1901.
Old 21-05-11, 08:39 AM

Hi Guys
Thanks to all of you for taking time to post and for the info. I am so glad my thinking was right with the stick being a Victorian one and so glad I managed to pick it up. I do like these sticks with the Regimental badges on and this is now the oldest one I have.

Cheers

Rob