British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Civilian Services: Police, Prison Service, Fire Brigade, Merchant Navy, etc.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 17-02-18, 07:23 PM

Default Kelso Burgh Police 'relic' button

Evening all

One for the police/early button collectors: recently bought this button used by the Kelso Burgh Police which existed from 1757 until c. 1881/82, when they merged into the Roxburgh County Constabulary. In excavated condition, it appears to be a very rare item as it is not recorded in either Ripley, Ripley & Darmanin, or John Green’s book on Scottish police insignia. It is made of a non-magnetic metal with traces of a silver coloured finish on the obverse, measuring approximately 23.5mm in diameter. There are traces of a maker’s name between two concentric rings on the reverse: of the maker a letter “A” is discernible, and the place of manufacture appears to begin “BI” (so probably Birmingham).

TBH if this is the only Scottish button I add to my collection this year I’ll still think I’ve done well, and at a fraction of what I was prepared to pay. So having excavated half a field from around the shank using a cocktail stick, followed by a gentle clean with soap and water, I intend taking it’s cleaning no further for fear of causing damage to what has, after all, probably been in a field for the best part of 150+ years.

Enjoy

Graham
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 03Feb2018 005b.jpg (51.5 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg 03Feb2018 010b.jpg (54.8 KB, 16 views)
I am looking to purchase items from the British Administration Police & Prison Services in Cyrenaica & Tripolitania; Eritrea & Ethiopia; Somalia (f. Italian Somaliland) & British Somaliland; & the Dodecanese: insignia, documents, photographs etc.
Old 18-02-18, 10:24 AM

Very nice Graham!

Dave.
Old 18-02-18, 10:11 PM

An extremely nice find. Thank you for sharing the details.

- Michael