British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 02-01-17, 08:13 PM

Default Northumberland fusiliers cap badge

Hi all,

I've just been given a boxful of paperwork of family history things and tucked in the bottom was the two badges in the attached photos.

I know the cap badge is a Northumberland fusiliers one but can anyone tell me the dates it was used please? Am I right in thinking the latin text and 2 colours makes it after WW1?

It was in with some records for someone who was in the 15/19th hussars between 1926 and 1932 so it obviously can't be his.

What is the smaller badge, the pin on the back is throwing me completely.

Thanks for the help,

Michael
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2017-01-02 20.01.35.jpg (43.3 KB, 90 views)
File Type: jpg 2017-01-02 20.02.22.jpg (33.1 KB, 67 views)
Old 02-01-17, 09:46 PM

Hi Michael,

The bimetal badge was that worn post 1935 when the regiment became the Royal Northumberland Fusiliers.

The small badge is either a collar badge, boss badge or sweat heart badge but less likely a collar as no fixing loops and with a wire fitting it may be part of a boss badge. Again not a usual fitting for a sweat heart badge. I can have a look in a book on their badges by Wood tonight, cheers Dean
Old 02-01-17, 10:24 PM

Thanks a lot Dean, that would be great.

Michael
Old 03-01-17, 09:17 AM

Hi again Michael,

I am far from being an expert on NF badges so here goes. In Denis Wood's excellent 'The Fifth Fusiliers and its Badges' there is a shoulder badge which matches your image. Circa 1904-13 Sergeants - a grenade in brass or gilding metal carrying on the ball St George and the dragon facing right. Worn on the blue patrol jacket without the letters NF. It notes that the image is of a variant badge to that just described with triangular Flames which yours does - the critical part will be size. 31x20mm it is figure 281A on page 67 of his 1st Edition. I cannot explain the wire fixing and I have found no reference to boss badges but from memory they are St George and the dragon not a grenade device.

There could be other variants described in the text but a vertical St George and the dragon narrows it down.

Trust this helps Dean
Old 07-01-17, 02:20 PM

Hi Dean,

Sorry for the late reply. Thanks for the information, it's really interesting.

I'm attaching a photo so you can see the size, it's almost 31mm high but only about 16mm wide so isn't quite right.

Still a mystery really.

Michael
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2017-01-07 14.12.12.jpg (67.5 KB, 12 views)
Old 11-07-18, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiny View Post
Hi Dean,

Sorry for the late reply. Thanks for the information, it's really interesting.

I'm attaching a photo so you can see the size, it's almost 31mm high but only about 16mm wide so isn't quite right.

Still a mystery really.

Michael
Could this be part of a shoulder title, the lettering/scroll removed and the stick pin fitting added to make a lapel badge?