British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > South African Military and Police Insignia > General Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 13-07-15, 07:05 PM

Had a re-look at the two variants I have in the collection. The one is the solid cast brass version and the other sheet brass. Have posted images of them for comparison.
Old 13-07-15, 07:21 PM

Those are both Anglo Boer War Imperial Bearer Corps slouch hat badges.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madziro View Post
Had a re-look at the two variants I have in the collection. The one is the solid cast brass version and the other sheet brass. Have posted images of them for comparison.

Last edited by Frank Kelley; 13-07-15 at 07:27 PM.
Old 14-07-15, 05:44 AM

Default More Boer War titles

Interesting info on the IBC titles, many thanks.
I hope it is not getting away from the main theme too much, but I have often wondered just which "MR" title was correct for the Boer War NSW Mounted Rifles. I have several variations in my picture file and any comments would be appreciated. My own theory is that two separate letters are correct. One of the two sizes of cursive letters could be 'Midland Railways", don't know about the others.
I am fairly sure they wore a blackened NSW Vols collar badge, sometimes a NSW button, on their slouch hats. There are also the very scarce 'cat's head' buttons with two different designs. I can post pictures of these if anyone is interested.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MRletters.jpg (35.8 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg MR2.jpg (72.0 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg MR3.jpg (35.2 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg MRpair.jpg (90.1 KB, 3 views)
Old 10-10-17, 12:33 PM

I picked this up yesterday and this thread is practically the only reference to the IBC shoulder title that I can find. I am not entirely convinced that it is the Imperial Bushman Corps. It is a shame that many of the original pictures on this thread have disappeared.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sts 009.jpg (52.5 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg sts 010.jpg (61.3 KB, 7 views)
Old 11-10-17, 07:51 AM

Can I ask a question about the manufacture of sheet metal brass titles? I can easily see how they could have been cut out with a jeweller's saw and finished with a file - indeed I have made a couple this way for a display - but it does seem laborious. Were several sandwiched together for efficiency? Picture 3 shows a very neat way of folding back the brass to make lugs, and this one doesn't look cut by hand - could it have been stamped out?
Old 11-10-17, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Wood View Post
I picked this up yesterday and this thread is practically the only reference to the IBC shoulder title that I can find. I am not entirely convinced that it is the Imperial Bushman Corps. It is a shame that many of the original pictures on this thread have disappeared.
here are the IBC and QIB from the gret collection where the pics have been removed
bc
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MEGAPIX - 011.jpg (50.7 KB, 21 views)
Old 11-10-17, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgecollector View Post
here are the IBC and QIB from the gret collection where the pics have been removed
bc
Many thanks for posting the photograph. So it is pretty much confirmed that these are Australian Imperial Bushmen's Corps and not Imperial Bearer Corps?

Simon
Old 11-10-17, 10:38 AM

hi simon
these badges are from an old and respected collection however there are a few anomalies in it.
i would be happy with either variety from the pic however im not 100% certain
bc