British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Airborne and Special Forces

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 18-01-16, 07:26 PM

Default 1 Can Para Reference Material (and Canadian Army generally)

In response to a closed thread, and the question raised regarding reference material.

1. Into the Maelstrom by Ken Joyce. If you are collecting anything from the 1st Canadian Parachute Battalion this is the definition of an outstanding reference book. All aspects of the clothing and insignia are well researched and photographed in both colour and black and white. It is about $60 and a recommended investment if you are going to collect anything from this Regiment. I've collected anything Second War Canadian Army for 40 years and only in the last few years has a reference like this existed.

2. The Badges and Insignia of the Canadian Airborne Forces by Major Louis E Grimshaw. Published in 1981, it was the only decent reference prior to Ken's book. Although Black and White it still provides a great reference for both 1 Can Para and the Canadian Airborne Regiment.

3. From D Day to VE Day, the Canadian Soldier by Jean Bouchery. It is a good Canadian Army reference book that provides a nice baseline of all aspects of the Clothing, Equipment and Insignia for all aspects of the Canadian Army's commitment to the Second War. A small section highlights 1 Can Para. There are some errors but nothing that would prevent 95% of the material as a good reference book. (It is not 1 Can Para specific).

4. Dressed to Kill by Micheal A Dorosh. When paired up with the book by Bouchery you have the 100% answer to all common aspects of Canadian Army Clothing from 1939 to 1945.

5. Although there are other excellent references, most are either very specific to an individual item (Wings by Ken Joyce, Tin Lids by Roger Lucy etc) or good companion books to those listed above.
Clive Law is also one of a number of very good contacts if you need a specific book and always ready to help source.

As an aside, both this site and canadiansoldiers.com http://www.network54.com/Forum/28173 are great sources for the Canadian Militaria buff.

Windmill,
99% of the contributors to both these sites will help (as evident from the help from ddaydodger, Bill A and cw2311). There is the odd misguided individual who remind me of a quote from an old BlackWatch RSM that I had served with back in the late 70's.
"Anyone can make flippant remarks, its a true leader who can actual educate"
Please continue to ask questions, there are no stupid ones, it's one of the reasons for these sites.

Hope this helps.
Paul Harrison
Retired Army
(And Proud of it!)
Old 18-01-16, 09:11 PM

The only stupid question is the question that isn't asked.

Rgds, Thomas.
Old 18-01-16, 09:18 PM

Thanks Paul.
This is very very helpfull. I'm more than ready to learn about 1 Can Para. This is pretty much all new for me but I've collected German WW2 stuff for over 30 years now but got a new focus on GB para and now Can Para

I want to learn the tricks to spot a red flags en the small details to look for.

Best regards

Edwin
Old 19-01-16, 12:57 AM

Welcome to the Forum Paul!

Dave
Old 19-01-16, 02:11 AM

Edwin,

I have pulled a few veteran acquired BD’s to show you the 6 different war time 1st Can Para shoulder flashes you may encounter while on your search. You will find several of these shoulder flashes have been copied extensively and offered on the market as “original”. Some of the copies offered out there are getting better every year. So if you’re not sure, then getting some feedback from other collectors on a forum such as this one is a good start.

The Pegasus flashes are a whole different ball game, as there are a wide variety of variations you will encounter. British or Canadian production, printed, embroidered, private purchase, etc... Also heavily faked on the market.

Jump wings can also be complicated if you’re not fully aware of what to look for. Ken Joyce has authored some great reference books on the subject which can assist you with narrowing down production period. Well worth the investment. Paul has suggested a few books as well and I’m sure any one of them would benefit a “new collector” such as yourself.

The yellow marker slip-ons can also be tricky. There are some more commonly seen cotton and silk versions which many collectors are more familiar with, however there are also a variety of custom ones you may encounter. Many of these veterans took it upon themselves to “enhance” their best dress uniform. I have many photos that show this phenomena, which is also why I chose these particular BD’s for the picture.

Good luck on your new collecting adventure.

Cheers from Canada.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1st Can Para BD's.jpg (39.5 KB, 90 views)

Last edited by cw2311; 19-01-16 at 02:38 AM.
Old 19-01-16, 03:39 PM

The flash with yellow letters is interesting, or is it just the lighting?
Old 19-01-16, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanker Mike View Post
The flash with yellow letters is interesting, or is it just the lighting?
Those are Canadian-manufacture flashes found on coming home BDs.
The yellow-embroidered letters are believed to represent the Battalion’s connection to the 6th Airborne Division.

Shown here with Canadian-manufactured Pegasus.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ogburn-05.jpg (115.1 KB, 32 views)
Old 19-01-16, 06:17 PM

Into the Maelstrom and Wings by Ken Joyce are absolutely essential.

Also check out his website...

https://www.airbornehistorycanada.com/home.html
Old 19-01-16, 06:23 PM

Edwin, you can purchase those books from Clive Law here...
http://www.servicepub.com/
Old 19-01-16, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyA View Post
Edwin, you can purchase those books from Clive Law here...
http://www.servicepub.com/
I allready have orderd some books now. Looking forward to study 1 Can Para more now.

I've learned allready a lot this last week, nice to have a new focus in collection.....lot of energy

Cheers

Edwin
Old 19-01-16, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cw2311 View Post
Edwin,

I have pulled a few veteran acquired BD’s to show you the 6 different war time 1st Can Para shoulder flashes you may encounter while on your search. You will find several of these shoulder flashes have been copied extensively and offered on the market as “original”. Some of the copies offered out there are getting better every year. So if you’re not sure, then getting some feedback from other collectors on a forum such as this one is a good start.

The Pegasus flashes are a whole different ball game, as there are a wide variety of variations you will encounter. British or Canadian production, printed, embroidered, private purchase, etc... Also heavily faked on the market.

Jump wings can also be complicated if you’re not fully aware of what to look for. Ken Joyce has authored some great reference books on the subject which can assist you with narrowing down production period. Well worth the investment. Paul has suggested a few books as well and I’m sure any one of them would benefit a “new collector” such as yourself.

The yellow marker slip-ons can also be tricky. There are some more commonly seen cotton and silk versions which many collectors are more familiar with, however there are also a variety of custom ones you may encounter. Many of these veterans took it upon themselves to “enhance” their best dress uniform. I have many photos that show this phenomena, which is also why I chose these particular BD’s for the picture.

Good luck on your new collecting adventure.

Cheers from Canada.
The trick on ID the real canvas flashes is the stitching right?
I saw some sloppy stichings on the flashes from the BD I have returned

Cheers

Edwin

Last edited by windmill; 19-01-16 at 07:29 PM.
Old 19-01-16, 07:13 PM

.....and remember ...never be shy of asking questions, you might be helping someone else beside yourself.
Jo

“There are things we know that we know,” “There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know.”
Donald Rumsfeld, before the Iraqi Invasion,2003.

Age is something that doesn't matter, unless you are a cheese.
Old 19-01-16, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyA View Post
Into the Maelstrom and Wings by Ken Joyce are absolutely essential.

Also check out his website...

https://www.airbornehistorycanada.com/home.html
woooooow.....very good site !!!

Cheers

Edwin
Old 19-01-16, 08:07 PM

Excellent responses, helpful and respectful, and no one's blood pressure rises.

Amazing what happens when intelligent, well mannered and professional people discuss a subject that everyone is interested in.
Old 19-01-16, 08:30 PM

Default No Question Left Unasked

So, Tanker Mike, now that you have now learned the titles and where these books can be purchased, will you actually be purchasing any publications to cultivate your interest in this Airborne topic?

Just asking, in a respectful manner of course.