British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Civilian Services: Police, Prison Service, Fire Brigade, Merchant Navy, etc.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 20-10-11, 01:35 PM

Default "Other" Defence Related Fire Services Cap Badges/Insignia

Hi all, Would like to know if anyone out there has information, photo's or actual examples of the following subject matter?

There are plenty of examples (some in albums on here) of defence related fire services such as the Defence Fire Service, Army/War Dept/Admiralty/Air Force Dept Fire Services, but I am interested as to what (if any) cap badges/cloth insignia were/are worn by the following?

Airfield Fire Services on the old Rolls Royce Airfields (such as leavesden in Hertfordshire)

Royal Ordnace Factory Fire Service? (I've seen a cloth badge for this!)

Fire Services on former Royal Ordnance Factory sites now owned by BAE Systems?

Gibraltar Naval Dockyard, did/do they have their own Fire Service in the same way that they have their own Services Police/Security Police?

MoD Procurment Executive Fire Service

Defence Research Agency Fire Prevention Service

Atomic Weapons Establishment Fire & Rescue Service

QinetiQ Fire & Rescue Service

Airfield Fire Services on BAE Airfields at Warton and Walney,

BAE Airbus Airfield at Broughton (managed by Blue Arrow Services)
(the other BAE/Air Bus airfield at Filton is run by Serco!)

BAE Barrow in Furness has its own retained "Yard" Fire Service run by Securitas Security Serivices, but does anyone know if the original "in house" Barrow Shipyard Fire Service had its own badges?

Fire and Rescue services on military airfields and facilities currently provided by Serco Services and Babcock Group Aerospace.

Many RAF and MoD airfields contracted out their Fire Fighting Services in the late 80's and I have read that Bombardier Aerospace and Sodexo facilities also provided contract fire fighters?

Falmouth Docks, has its own Police Force but a few years ago when I was working down there I noticed a disused building that was the old Dockyard Fire Station with its own crest on the door ! did they have their own cap badge like the Docks Police?

Any answered appreciated.

Regatds Tony
Old 20-10-11, 02:03 PM

Hi Tony,

The ROF Fire Brigade had a very similar badge to the ROF Police (like the one in my album) the difference being that the cypher is replaced with the letters FB.

I am tempted to go and have a chat with the Foulness Qinetiq security guard, he always looks bored. I wonder how he would take enquiries about insignia, possibly as a security risk.

Hope this helps a bit.

Phil
Old 20-10-11, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil2m View Post
Hi Tony,

The ROF Fire Brigade had a very similar badge to the ROF Police (like the one in my album) the difference being that the cypher is replaced with the letters FB.

I am tempted to go and have a chat with the Foulness Qinetiq security guard, he always looks bored. I wonder how he would take enquiries about insignia, possibly as a security risk.

Hope this helps a bit.

Phil
Hi Phil, might be worth a go, worst he can do is tell you to bug off! I do know that QinetiQ at the Shoeburyness range do have their own fire service, so he might know about insignia (if he's one of the more observant ones)

Interesting about the ROF fire service badge! now the hard (probably inpossible) part, Finding one!

Regards Tony
Old 20-10-11, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Hi Tony,

Hope this helps a bit.

Phil
Tony,

It is interesting that you refer to the "ROF Police". I don't know if you are aware but no police force has ever existed in that name. The factories were policed by the War Department Constabulary (and badged as such) which later became the Army Department Constabulary (still badged WDC) which later became the MOD Police. I don't know the role of the individuals who wore the badge that you refer to but they were not members of a recognised police force.

Dave.
Old 20-10-11, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by altcar73 View Post
Tony,

It is interesting that you refer to the "ROF Police". I don't know if you are aware but no police force has ever existed in that name. The factories were policed by the War Department Constabulary (and badged as such) which later became the Army Department Constabulary (still badged WDC) which later became the MOD Police. I don't know the role of the individuals who wore the badge that you refer to but they were not members of a recognised police force.

Dave.
Hi Dave, I did'nt originally refer to the ROF Police, Phil did and refers to a badge in his album! but saying that I'm certain I have read before about the ROF having their own police?

Regards Tony
Old 20-10-11, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorbear View Post
Hi Dave, I did'nt originally refer to the ROF Police, Phil did and refers to a badge in his album! but saying that I'm certain I have read before about the ROF having their own police?

Regards Tony
Tony,

Sorry, I was refering to Phil's comment and not yours. There is a very comprehensive list of defunct police forces which have existed in the UK and the alleged "ROF Police" are not mentioned. In addition, Harry Wynne has researched very thoroughly the police forces connected with the War Dept., MOD, Min. of Munitions etc and has produced several books on the subject. The "ROF Police" do not feature. Also, a search on the internet for "ROF Police" brings you to this site where the title is mentioned by Phil and another member. So, who used the badge in question?

Best wishes, Dave.

Last edited by altcar73; 20-10-11 at 03:54 PM.
Old 20-10-11, 03:57 PM

Tony,

Here is an example of the cap badge worn by the AWE Fire Brigade. Regret I don't know if it is current or obsolete. I've had it for the last ten years at least.

Best wishes, Dave.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AWA FB.JPG (58.4 KB, 19 views)
Old 20-10-11, 04:02 PM

Hi guys, there is also a dealer site that has the badge listed as ROF Police. My example was always kept in my unknown section but since joining the forum I was informed of it being ROF Police. I have seen the FB badge I mentioned, it was on Ebay a couple of years ago, went beyond what I could afford.

I think I will take a jog down to Foulness and enquire. The guards are normally friendly.

Phil
Old 20-10-11, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by altcar73 View Post
Tony,

Here is an example of the cap badge worn by the AWE Fire Brigade. Regret I don't know if it is current or obsolete. I've had it for the last ten years at least.

Best wishes, Dave.
Thats great Dave, just what I was looking for! Would say this is probably an obsolete one as they now (in common with most local authotities) call themselve the AWE Fire & Rescue Service!

Many thanks and great badge, let me know if you ever want to part with it?

Regards Tony
Old 20-10-11, 04:38 PM

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...ad.php?t=19055

Phil
Old 20-10-11, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Phil. I was going to do that but you beat me to it, Thanks

JERRY
ROYAL ENGINEERS/BRITISH ARMY CORPS & SERVICES/BRITISH LEGION/ROYAL BRITISH LEGION (see albums)
Old 20-10-11, 05:38 PM

If you look at my album-MY COLLECTION pic 34, middle row 1st badge, this is the MOD fire service/MoD Procurment Executive Fire Service-- one and the same badge

JERRY
ROYAL ENGINEERS/BRITISH ARMY CORPS & SERVICES/BRITISH LEGION/ROYAL BRITISH LEGION (see albums)
Old 20-10-11, 05:40 PM

Hi Jerry,

No problem mate.

Did you see that the MMs are in the forum album?

What do you make of the ROF police conundrum?

Phil
Old 21-10-11, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Hi Jerry,

No problem mate.

Did you see that the MMs are in the forum album?

What do you make of the ROF police conundrum?

Phil
Phil, Can you refresh my aging memory "MM's" ??
There were a lot of "Police" in these various area's that have not had much, if anything, written about them. They crop up all over but as far as I know there was ROF police-force or constabulary, who knows??

JERRY
Old 21-10-11, 09:47 AM

Here are a couple of fire service badges. DTEO possible at Boscombe Down and HUNTING at RAF Cranwell. I am not sure of locations.
DTEO & HUNTING

JERRY

Last edited by engr9266; 27-01-13 at 10:09 AM.