British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Navy and Royal Marines

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 10-05-21, 04:03 PM

Benham’s design and note of who went on to make the uniforms in 1905.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg CC9FC6A5-1FB0-4AED-918D-0267CF77AECA.jpeg (107.6 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg A526E128-3673-418F-B380-CE501424668D.jpg (30.7 KB, 23 views)
Old 11-05-21, 08:33 AM

Hi John

Many thanks for the info. I did look for your PM but as you say it seems to have vanished. It's immaterial as the owner has now decided that he doesn't want to sell it and would rather hang on to it. It's annoying as my last offer was within a few hundred pounds of what he wanted for it but ultimately it's his decision as to what he decides to do with it. And I suppose that leaves me more money to buy other things for the collection ...

It's interesting to hear about the ones made for the Trafalgar Centenary in 1905. I've seen so many pictures of them being worn at Navy Week and the Royal Tournament during the inter-war period. I'd even settle for one of those as at least they have a connection to the Corps!

I'm obviously disappointed that I couldn't purchase it. But just being allowed to handle it meant so much to me. My ancestors were all marines during the American Revolutionary War and the French Revolutionary and Napoleonic Wars. That is one of the reasons I was so keen to get it - regardless of the cost. At least I tried!

Once again many thanks to everyone for their advice, information and general encouragement to go for it! Maybe one day ...

Pete
'It is upon the Navy, under the good providence of God, that the Wealth, Prosperity and Peace of these islands and of the Empire do mainly depend' - Preamble to the Articles of War in the reign of Charles II
Old 11-05-21, 09:39 AM

Pete, Sorry you didn't get it, but I agree one from the 1905 celebration would be a nice piece. Just a little FYI. The marines during the AWI wore a standard infantry style uniform of tricorn hat, red coat faced white and white small clothes, with the grenadier company wearing a bearskin and the light company the a LI cap. The grenadier and light company were part of the contingent marching to Concord. Major Pitcairn of the 7th Marines, was second in command and lead the advance party of LI which actually faced the militia at Lexington Green where it all started.

Terry
Old 13-05-21, 06:53 AM

Hi Terry

Yes, I was aware of the uniform worn at the time of the AWI. I didn't mean to imply that the 1802 pattern hat was worn at the time and that was why I wanted it. I meant to just emphasise my family links to the Corps during the late-18th and early-19th centuries. I have traced my ancestors service in the Corps back to 1775. Considering that son tended to follow father into service it is probable that they were serving before then but the records are, to say the least, scarce! After the first half of the 19th-century they all went into the RN! Thanks for taking the time to mention the uniform differences.

Pete
'It is upon the Navy, under the good providence of God, that the Wealth, Prosperity and Peace of these islands and of the Empire do mainly depend' - Preamble to the Articles of War in the reign of Charles II
Old 14-05-21, 09:07 PM

Very sorry to hear the deal did not come off this time Pete. You never know, given time the seller may have a change of heart and hopefully you can revisit the deal and be first in the queue.