British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Cavalry and Armoured Units

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 06-07-08, 11:45 AM
Super Moderator

Hi Mike, no images at this time. The tunic had the general issue Canada shoulder titles in darkened brass. No slip-ons.
I have seen brass badges similar to the second and the Canadian example in Peter's posting. I don't have these in my own collection.
Old 08-07-08, 01:26 PM

Hi, metal arm badges. Is the large one the early Canadian? The others are an officers silver and possibly an early NCO's.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tanks and canadian 001.jpg (37.1 KB, 51 views)
Old 08-07-08, 01:32 PM

Hi, some early cloth arm badges, and titles.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tanks and canadian 002.jpg (47.7 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg tanks and canadian 003.jpg (64.5 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg tanks and canadian 004.jpg (63.6 KB, 41 views)
Old 01-08-08, 05:15 PM

Cannot offer much here other than this series of shots of a tunic recently sold......we also had a 1st Cdn tank Btn tunic that was sold about 15 years ago that was obtained from the vets family in Norfolk county and it also had the tank badge very similar to the one shown in the photos here....cheers,Mike.
Old 01-08-08, 05:41 PM

Hi, a friend has a slip-on purporting to be Canadian Tanks, but it is of wool construction and of a more orange colour. Is the ribbon shown typical of WW1 Canadian flashes? That type of ribbon is more typical of WW11 British tank flashes and after. That in itself signifies nothing as different contries adopted different styles. Hence WW1 British tank badges in Bevo weave which was originally a French invention but adopted by the Germans for their insignia during the Third Reich. Mike
Old 01-08-08, 06:08 PM

I am going a bit off-topic but is this an original WW2 sleevebadge??It has the barrel slightly upward.

http://cgi.ebay.nl/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...m=110274669629
Old 09-08-08, 04:03 PM

Default Canadian MKI Tank sleeve badge

Does any forum member knows if the Canadian MKI Tank sleeve badge was worn by all the personnel of the Canadian armoured regiments prior 1944? And for which reason it was officialy removed in 1943 in the Canadian army? Despite it unauthorized status in 1944-45 was it possible to meet it on Canadian BD during the NWE campain?
In the British army the Tank MKI sleeve badge was not a trade or qualification badge. It was worn by all the RTR regimental personnel even the staff clerks. Was it the same status in the Canadian army?

I think the Canadian MKI Tank sleeve badge shown here is WWII Canadian made.
Can any forum member confirm this? Cheers J-F
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cdn MKI tank front.jpg (93.7 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg Cdn MKI tank back.jpg (87.1 KB, 10 views)
Old 09-08-08, 04:35 PM
Super Moderator

Default Formation patch vs Corps patch

Hi J-F, Some answers for your questions.
First, the "tank" patch was removed when the division rectangular and brigade diamond shaped formation patches were taken into use. Thus, at no time would members of 1 CAB, 2 CAB, 4 CAB or 5 CAB have worn the tank patch in NW Europe. It was removed circa 1943.

The badge appears to have been worn by all member of the units, whether qualified in an armoured trade or not.

There was some debate about the use of the badge, as former cavalry regiments did not wish to wear the badge, while infantry regiments converted to the tank role were keen.

In reference to the badge illustrated, it is very difficult to distinguish Canadian made from British.
Old 10-08-08, 08:32 AM

Thanks for information Bill. I think the tank badge I have shown is Canadian made because it has a light green mesh backing which is not very much used with British made badges. This badge came from Canada and I have often observed this kind of mesh on Canadian trade and rank badges. Cheers.J-F