British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 05-03-12, 01:11 PM

Default post subject

I have the nominal roll of the 'Hinckley Home Defence Corps' for 1914....
where do they fit into this ?
Old 05-03-12, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sketchley kid View Post
I have the nominal roll of the 'Hinckley Home Defence Corps' for 1914....
where do they fit into this ?
Hinckley H.D.C. of 1914 was pre-V.T.C., and one would suspect that like all other such pre-V.T.C. units they went onto join the C.A.V.T.C. as 'Hinckley Volunteer Training Corps'(post 1915). As such they and all of the V.T.C. units then located in both Leicestershire & Rutland, would have come together as 'Leicester Volunteer Regiment', sometime during 1915.

In mid-1916 on the formation of the 'new' Volunteer Force, the 'Leicestershire Volunteer Regiment' formed under the direction of the C.A.V.T.C., was then split, under direction of the 'new' Volunteer Force, with the Rutland element forming the '1st Bn, Rutland Volunteer Regiment' and Leicester Volunteer Regiment forming three battalions of it's own.

Hickley V.T.C., as it had been, would then have then been absobed as a Company of one of the three battalions of Leicestershire Volunteer Regiment(minus Rutland), as part of Northern Command.

As my geography of Leicester is basically 'crap', then I'm unable to tell you which battalion it would have formed part of.

Tags
leicestershire regiment, leicestershire rv