British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 14-11-18, 08:18 PM

Hi Leigh, Thanks for the additional info - more good stuff!

I'm a bit confused about the stripes still though. On his right sleeve I can see a vertical stripe running up from the cuff, and a horizontal stripe running around his sleeve a couple of inches up from the cuff. But I can't see anything on his left sleeve - there's only the shoulder visible?

Hope you can shed some more light on these stripes - I also attach a wider view of the seated pic for you.

Many thanks again

Iain Jack
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img755 (2).jpg (57.0 KB, 12 views)
Old 14-11-18, 08:38 PM

Those insignia are the same on both sleeves, they are the officers rank insignia mentioned earlier in the thread.
I stand to be corrected but I think that as of 1917 officers were allowed to display rank insignia on the shoulder strap instead of the cuff and that as of 1920 the cuff insignia was abolished.
Someone will know the dates and correct me if need be.
On the left cuff but not in view should be a small vertical stripes about 2" long, signifying that he has been wounded once.

Last edited by leigh kitchen; 14-11-18 at 08:44 PM. Reason: Forgot the wound badge.
Old 14-11-18, 08:42 PM

I see. But where is the wound stripe please?
Old 14-11-18, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffhanger View Post
I see. But where is the wound stripe please?
Apologies, I edited my last post - it would be worn on the left lower sleeve, not visible in the photo.

An image and more detail here:

https://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/sold...-wound-stripe/

Last edited by leigh kitchen; 14-11-18 at 08:56 PM.
Old 14-11-18, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh kitchen View Post
Apologies, I edited my last post - it would be worn on the left lower sleeve, not visible in the photo.

An image and more detail here:

https://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/sold...-wound-stripe/
Ah thanks - been scratching my head over that! So we know of his wounding from his service history kindly provided up-thread? Do you have a reference for that info at all?
Old 14-11-18, 09:35 PM

War Office Daily List No.5652
Archive Reference:
NLS 1918_WList56
First World War Daily Reports (Missing, Wounded & Prisoner of War)

The details I and others posted earlier aren't from his actual Service Record by the way - that's an avenue that you can explore with the National Archives or if he served after 1922 with the MOD for a £30 or thereabouts fee.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/request-...vice-personnel

Last edited by leigh kitchen; 14-11-18 at 09:44 PM. Reason: Link added
Old 14-11-18, 09:39 PM

Sorry I meant the whole of your post #6 above?
Old 14-11-18, 09:48 PM

The references are amongst the text of the first three seperate entries (the fourth entry being the bit of info. re. 10th R. Warks. Regt.)
Old 14-11-18, 09:56 PM

Quote:
The references are amongst the text of the first three seperate entries (the fourth entry being the bit of info. re. 10th R. Warks. Regt.)
OK - thanks again. I really appreciate all the trouble you've gone to on our behalf. I just need to try and track down details of his injury and where he was at the time and I think that's it!
Old 15-11-18, 06:58 AM

I have no books to cover the activities of 10 R Warks Regt at the time of wounding.
Through April 1918 the 19th Division fought at Messines, Bailleul, Kemmel Ridge, May - June at The Battle of The Aisne and were moved back out of the line to rest and reinforce until October when it advanced through battles at the Selle, Sambre River,Grand Honelle, continued on through Malplaquet and in November became Corps Reserve, west of Bavai.
Old 15-11-18, 11:55 AM

Quote:
I have no books to cover the activities of 10 R Warks Regt at the time of wounding.
Through April 1918 the 19th Division fought at Messines, Bailleul, Kemmel Ridge, May - June at The Battle of The Aisne and were moved back out of the line to rest and reinforce until October when it advanced through battles at the Selle, Sambre River,Grand Honelle, continued on through Malplaquet and in November became Corps Reserve, west of Bavai.
Fascinating stuff again Leigh. I'm going to have to read up on these battles - some I've heard of, others are fresh to me. I also need to track down details of our Dad's time on Malta in WW2
Old 15-11-18, 12:32 PM

6th (Service) Battalion The Duke of Cornwall's Light Infantry
Aug 1914 Formed at Bodmin as part of the First New Army (K1) and then moved to Aldershot to join the 43rd Brigade of the 14th Division and then moved to Witley.
Feb 1915 Moved to Aldershot.
22.05.1915 Mobilised for war and landed at Boulogne and engaged in various actions on the Western front including;
The Action of Hooge, part of the first flamethrower attack by the Germans, The Second Attack on Bellewaarde.
The Battle of Delville Wood, The Battle of Flers-Courcelette.
The German retreat to the Hindenburg Line, The First Battle of the Scarpe, The Third Battle of the Scarpe, The Battle of Langemark, The First Battle of Passchendaele, The Second Battle of Passchendaele.
The Battle of St Quentin, The Battle of the Avre.
20.02.1918 Disbanded in France.

51st (Garrison) Battalion The Royal Warwickshire Regiment

27.10.1917 Formed at Ipswich from the 262nd Graduated Battalion (previously the 93rd Training Reserve Battalion formerly the 15th Gloucester), as part of the 216th Brigade of the 72nd Division.
Jan 1918 Transferred to the 205th Brigade of the 68th Division and moved to Lowestoft.
June 1918 Moved to Henham Park, Southwold.

10th (Service) Battalion The Royal Warwickshire Regiment

Aug 1914 Formed in Warwick as part of the Second New Army (K2) and then moved to Salisbury Plain and joined the 57th Brigade of the 19th Division.
Mar 1915 Moved to Tidworth.
17.7.1915 Mobilised for war and landed in France and the Division engaged in various actions on the Western Front including;
During 1915
The Action of Pietre.
During 1916
The Battle of Albert, The attacks on High Wood, The Battle of Pozieres Ridge, The Battle of the Ancre Heights, The Battle of the Ancre.
During 1917
The Battle of Messines, The Battle of the Menin Road Ridge, The Battle of Polygon Wood, The Battle of Broodseinde, The Battle of Poelcapelle, First Battle of Passchendaele, The Second Battle of Passchendaele.
During 1918
The Battle of St Quentin, The Battle of Bapaume, The Battle of Messines, The Battle of Bailleul, The First Battle of Kemmel Ridge, The Battle of the Aisne, The Battle of the Selle, The Battle of the Sambre and the passage of the Grand Honelle.
11.11.1918 Ended the war in France, west of Bavai.

Last edited by leigh kitchen; 15-11-18 at 01:03 PM. Reason: Added 6 DCLI