British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Navy and Royal Marines

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 26-01-16, 02:59 PM

Default WW2 RHODESIAN VOLUNTEER IN THE ROYAL NAVY UNIFORM

I believe this to be a Rhodesian Volunteer in the Royal Navy during WW2 uniform.There was 373 Rhodesians that where in the RN .My questin is does this look correct for that period?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160126_155406.jpg (45.8 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg 20160126_155419.jpg (49.4 KB, 82 views)
File Type: jpg 20160126_155503.jpg (87.0 KB, 49 views)
Old 26-01-16, 04:39 PM

Default WW2 Rhodesian Volunteer in the Royal Navy

Hi actionoke

It's hard to tell the date of the uniform just from the pictures. So, here are a few clues to helping you date it.

Firstly the blue serge jumper (Jumper, Serge):-

Jumper, Serge. 1932-41. Button cuffs. Single inner pocket, open top. 12 - 15in V front.

Jumper, Serge. 1941-42. Button cuffs. Twin inner pocket. 12 - 15in V front.

Jumper, Serge. 1942-43. Button cuffs. Twin inner pocket, one open, one button top. 12 - 15in V front. Single thickness collar with bound edge.

Jumper, Serge. 1943-45. No cuffs. Twin inner pocket, both button top. 12 - 15in V front. Single thickness collar with reinforced bound edge.

Jumper, Serge. 1945. Button cuffs. Twin inner pocket, both button top. 12 - 15in V front. Single thickness collar with reinforced bound edge.

Next the blue collar (Collar, Blue Jean) :-

The edge of the blue collar has three white stripes. Prior to October 1941 the three rows of white edging were individually stitched on by hand. In October 1941 a new composite tape was introduced which consisted of three white bars alternating with two blue bars. The composite pattern was normally machine stitched to the collar edge.

I'm sure I've got some information about national insignia somewhere. I'll have a look to see if I can find it,

Pete
Old 26-01-16, 05:28 PM

Found something which may (or may not!) help you.

Unlike the Army and RAF, personnel from the colonies serving with the Royal Navy were forbidden to wear titles bearing the name of their colony of origin.

So, even if the uniform is of the right date there is a possibility that the 'RHODESIA' title may have been added subsequently.

Pete
Old 26-01-16, 07:08 PM

Thanks for info but I got the lot direct from the family and it was lying in a trunk for a very long time.I also got the summer uniform which also has the Rhodesian titles on the shoulder...so someone must have made the titles for them for a reason....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160126_210212.jpg (26.9 KB, 52 views)
Old 26-01-16, 07:53 PM

Hope the info re dating the uniform helps a bit to at least confirm it's wartime issue.

Have checked again but 'colony of origin' badges were not allowed for personnel serving with the Royal Navy. The only exception was for personnel from the Dominion navies such as the RCN or the RAN.

Maybe he wore the 'Rhodesia' flashes unofficially? Depends where he served and what he could get away with! Matelots always try to push the regulations to their limit and the command structure was prepared to turn a bit of a 'blind eye' during the war. Quite a few unofficial badges were tolerated in wartime but once it was over the regulations were rigidly enforced.

Whatever the explanation it's a very nice find and many thanks for showing it. Keep us informed of developments.

Pete
Old 26-01-16, 08:00 PM

Just been having another look at the flash on the white tropical uniform. Definately looks like a do-it-yourself job and not official issue. Possibly stitched by the rating himself. His housewife (official sewing kit issued to every rating) would contain all he needed to make a flash like that.

Pete