British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > The Home Front

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 10-12-21, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Home Guard View Post
Mike, I do not know. I had read somewhere that one was a recruiter's badge and the other worn by the members. Have no way of knowing for sure, and the 1923 could indeed be a memento pin. If I ever find anything for sure, I will share it.

Terry
Terry , I did a bit more digging and have a couple of ideas/suggestions.

First badge T.F.A.V.A.D - County members badge :
Quote:
TF for Territorial Force dates them between 1908 when it was formed and 1922 when it became the Terrritorial Army
Second badge - 1923 , apart from nursing registration being introduced , the VAD 'system' was reorganised and a newpaper mentioned Lancashire VAD being reconsituted in 1923. Also as the T.F had became the T.A a new members badge would probably have been produced ?

Recruiters badge - Can't find anything about a VAD recruiter badge but there was a "West Lancashire T.F. Civilian Recruiter" one. (photo posted by Peter Brydon in 2015 thread)

Attached Images
File Type: jpg West Lancs Civilian Recruiter.jpg (52.9 KB, 8 views)

Poppy and British Legion Wanted

Last edited by mike_vee; 10-12-21 at 01:18 PM.
Old 10-12-21, 04:48 PM

Mike,

That is some excellent info that you have found. I can also see where the thought of one being a recruiter's badge.

I am also delighted to be able to put dates to the badges too!

Thanks for the effort and for sharing!!!

Terry

Last edited by Home Guard; 11-12-21 at 06:54 PM.
Old 11-12-21, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postwarden View Post
Were Voluntary Aid Detachments numbered by County ie there were 57 other such detachments in the County - or were they the VADs of that County's 58th Red Cross unit?
An article in the British Medical Journal (Nov.29 , 1919) titled "West Lancashire Voluntary Aid Detachments " states ;

Quote:
during the War there were altogether 19 male and 44 female detachments in West Lancashire.
As male detachments were allocated 'odd numbers' and female detachments 'even numbers' this would suggest that the 19th male detachment would have the number 37 and that the 44th female detachment would have the number 88.

Poppy and British Legion Wanted