British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Other Commonwealth Military Insignia > Indian Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 12-11-21, 11:49 AM

Default Mystery Indian cap badge

Hello everyone,

I have, what I believe to be, an Indian Army cap badge in white metal with the motto "Pasbani" in Urdu below crossed swords and a circular shield which has a five pointed star and five dots.
Pasbani translates to either "Guard" or "Guarding".
I have been unable to positively identify this badge for some time now and any information would be gratefully appreciated.
Aidan.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20211112_112940_4~2.jpg (84.7 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20211112_112950_1~2.jpg (116.9 KB, 14 views)
Old 12-11-21, 02:02 PM

Interesting! The crossed scimitars behind a shiled is very like one of the princely states badges - 'States Forces', as they were known. However, the five pointed star is modern, I think. That combined with the very crude casting - bazaar made' is the usual term - makes me suspect that this is a fantasy piece made for the toursit trade, of which there are a good number for sale on the subcontinet.

I'll try to find out / remember which State Forces badge this resembles, as that may provide more clues.

Peter
Old 13-11-21, 01:22 AM

I think I have seen this one before, probably on ebay? Looks like a 'princely state' badge or maybe one of the Pakistan frontier militias post-1947.
But as Peter says, could well be a fantasy piece... quite a few if them around these days..
Old 13-11-21, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khyber View Post
Looks like a 'princely state' badge or maybe one of the Pakistan frontier militias post-1947.
I must coinfess, I hadn't thought of the Frontier Corps units of Pakistan. There are, Wiki informs me, 35 of them now, some created as recently as 2015.

In the past I have seen badges this crude attributed to some of the Frontier militia/police units but was not convinced they weren't bazaar-made copies.

Good call, Khyber!
Old 13-11-21, 06:06 PM

Hi Peter..even now there area lot of Pakistani Frontier militia badges and shoulder titles on ebay from a Pakistani dealer...most of them tend to be badly made..the frontier militias have profilerated after 1947 and I think there are well over a dozen of them now..I had an excellent and extremely well made belt buckle to the Kurram Militia a couple of years ago but then gave it to Ashok as he did not have it in his collection..
The badge shown above is most likely one of the militias..I have McClenaghan and Heads 2-vols on princely states badges but am out of town so can't look..also a pain to go through 1000 pages them unless you have some clue on possible contenders..
Old 16-11-21, 12:54 PM

Khyber

If it were SF or based on one, I want to say 'Bahwalpur', but that's pulled out of my 66-years-old-today memory, not a book.

OTOH, I'm tending more and more to agree with you that it's likely Pakistani militia. I once owned the pre=Partition badges, which were mostly nicely made, but I know that the current issues can be very crude. Sadly, the raely if ever make it to this side of gthe Atlantic, so I haven't seen many in a good while now.
Old 16-11-21, 02:17 PM

It's similar in design to the Pathan Regt of the Pakistan Frontier Force - I'm guessing it's one of the units that currently makes up the Frontier Corps .
Old 19-11-21, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurkharifles View Post
It's similar in design to the Pathan Regt of the Pakistan Frontier Force - I'm guessing it's one of the units that currently makes up the Frontier Corps .
Set of 4 badges on eBay including one for Pathan Regiment :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/203705217...QAAOSwUCFf-Hcs

Poppy and British Legion Wanted