British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 08-06-23, 11:54 AM

Default A few SAS bits

These are (I think) all outside my collecting period (1980s onwards), PRI gizzits or just rubbish...

I'm particularly intrigued about the kris (is it even SAS) and the collar dogs - never seen them all silvered before - are they for the not so mythical mess kit?!

I'll happily stick anything anyone is interested in for sale here...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0151.jpg (117.5 KB, 187 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0152.jpg (118.0 KB, 63 views)
Old 08-06-23, 12:39 PM

www info suggests the Kris is the badge for D Squadron SAS and I have seen the Kris represented with other Squadron badges on a bona-fide SAS plaque gifted to a police CT unit. Different shape/style to that one though.

Cheers……John
Old 08-06-23, 01:11 PM

Yeah. I've seen D Sqn stuff in person over the years. I wondered if it was something older - from the Malaya campaign or commemorating it..
Old 08-06-23, 05:51 PM
Super Moderator

Never been in the SAS but I was told by someone who was that the Regulars did not wear SAS Mess Kit but had a style of black tie (rather old fashioned according to him) that they wore.

Now the TA are a different matter so the collar dogs might well be for them. The TA did have SAS No 1 dress which might be a batter match than Mess Kit?

Alan
Old 09-06-23, 04:19 AM

Thanks Alan, I'd always heard the same, but there is a pic of the late Colonel Bill Mundell in mess kit in his effects that were auctioned by War & Son - I would guess from the early 70s.

As to 1s, 21 wearing them for the late Queen's coronation is fairly well known, but there are also a fair few pics from the 60s and 70s of 22 members (inlcuding Mundell again) wearing them for presentations or investitures.
Old 09-07-23, 07:33 AM

The question of Mess Dress was considered in Hereford in the early 1980's. The decision taken was that an SAS pattern Mess Dress would no longer be worn. Guidance was that either Mess Dress from the individuals parent Regiment or Corps would be worn (as was current practice anyway for many) or Black Tie. For Black Tie the only regimental distinction would be the cufflinks. The set I have from that time are in silver.
Old 10-07-23, 05:58 PM

Thanks @Farang - that chimes with my limited experience of them from the 90s onwards but doesn't answer the question over size/maker etc when they WERE worn...!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bill Mundell mess kit copy.jpg (34.3 KB, 34 views)