British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Photographs of British Servicemen and Women Wearing Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 26-08-17, 12:31 PM

Default WW1- Rifle Bde and Post Office Rifles cap badge differences

Hello,

Please could anyone help with the following query:

Is it possible to tell the difference between a Rifle Brigade and an 8th London cap badge in old photographs- In other words, are there any telltale differences?

For example, I think the Rifle Brigade cap badge had more battle honours, but a quick google image search seems to me to show that this was not always the case. Not being very knowledgeable about such things, I thought I'd ask.

My reason for asking is that I have just got a postcard labelled as "possibly 13th Rifle Brigade", but I wondered if another possibility wasn't the 8th London Rgt, Post Office Rifles, in 1918. See attached.

Many thanks in advance,

Chris
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7524.jpg (30.2 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7531.jpg (26.6 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7532.jpg (19.1 KB, 40 views)

Last edited by Drew; 26-08-17 at 12:42 PM.
Old 26-08-17, 03:11 PM
Super Moderator

Chris

The cap badge could be either, All is not lost. He has black buttons so it likely to be RB.

What you need to do is identify the Divisional patch on the sleeve, The photo is circa 1918 so you will be able to see whether the PO Rifles were in that Div or not in 1918 and that will prove it.
Old 26-08-17, 04:02 PM

Definitely Rifle Brigade. On the RB badge the ends of the wreath are closer to the crown and much higher than the base of the crown. On the POR badge the ends of the wreath are well away from the crown and lower down.

Last edited by Hoot; 26-08-17 at 04:18 PM.
Old 26-08-17, 04:44 PM
Super Moderator

side by side
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P4080004.jpg (47.0 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg P4080005.jpg (58.4 KB, 54 views)
Old 26-08-17, 08:44 PM

Wow! That's fantastic. Thanks very much gentlemen. What a subtle difference.

Many thanks,

Chris
Old 27-08-17, 12:27 AM

Best fit based on the traingle patch and using 'Infantry Divisions, Identification Schemes, 1917', Hibberd & Gibbs, seems to be the 12th or 13th Rifle Brigade. However, in each case a triangle should also come with bars / a company colour above or below. I don't doubt that he is wearing a Rifle Brigade cap badge, but the 8th P.O.R., in 1918, fits with the triangle patch better (if I am correct in thinking that the 8th Londons wore this at that time).

Another possibility is that the 60th MG Coy and the 60th TM Battery in the same Bde as the 12th RB wore the triangle on its own. Would a man posted to the 60th MG Coy, for example, still have his original cap badge or would he change to an MG Corps one?

Cheers,

Chris

Last edited by Drew; 27-08-17 at 12:37 AM.
Old 30-08-17, 11:07 AM
Super Moderator

Chris

The 8th Londons did indeed wear the POR badge in 1918 - actually up to amalgamation in 1920.

MG Coy personnel should have worn the MG badge even if transferees. Always a 'should' mind you.

Alan
Old 30-08-17, 10:58 PM

Thanks very much, Alan. That's very helpful. I think I was wondering if he had been transfered to the MG Corps, but still had his RB badge when the photo was taken. It seems that's a possibility, but this one will have to remain a mystery for now.

Many thanks,

Chris
Old 08-10-17, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew View Post
Best fit based on the traingle patch and using 'Infantry Divisions, Identification Schemes, 1917', Hibberd & Gibbs, seems to be the 12th or 13th Rifle Brigade. However, in each case a triangle should also come with bars / a company colour above or below. I don't doubt that he is wearing a Rifle Brigade cap badge, but the 8th P.O.R., in 1918, fits with the triangle patch better (if I am correct in thinking that the 8th Londons wore this at that time).

Another possibility is that the 60th MG Coy and the 60th TM Battery in the same Bde as the 12th RB wore the triangle on its own. Would a man posted to the 60th MG Coy, for example, still have his original cap badge or would he change to an MG Corps one?

Cheers,

Chris
Chris,
Triangle with no bars was also used by 60 Bde HQ.

Could he be an RB signaller attached to Bde HQ? Those look like crossed flags on his cuff.

If you have a name, I'm sure Andy could well help.

Definitely RB by the way.

12/RB wore the triangle with four bars underneath and were the only RB battalion in 60 Bde (= triangle). 13/RB were not in 20th (Light) Division, but in 37th Division and wore the 37th's horseshoe.

Cheers,
Mark
Old 08-10-17, 05:02 PM

I agree with Mark, a Brigade HQ (thus no bars) Signaller is very likely. Crossed flags on or above arm band.
Old 09-10-17, 12:39 AM

That is a great spot, Mark. Thank you very much. I did not think it could be narrowed down that much so I am very pleased. I know we can never be 100% certain with this type of thing, but given all the different insignia clues, I really think you must be correct with this. Toby, thanks too. Apologies, I am afraid I have no name.

Close-up attached. Also, I now wonder if that is a metal "RB" on his epaulette? I had thought it looked a bit 'flat', but you never know.

Many thanks,

Chris
Attached Images
File Type: jpg signaller.jpg (31.0 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg RB....jpg (26.8 KB, 14 views)
Old 09-10-17, 01:12 AM

There is an Arthur Mitchell, MSM, who was Rifle Brigade attached 60th Inf. Bde. He ended up as an officer in the RAF. I do not think it is necessarily the same man as in my photograph, but I wonder if Mitchell was attached at the same time as this chap. It might be worth looking into.

Chris

Tags
london regiment, rifle brigade cap badge