British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 21-01-10, 02:04 AM

Default FSC badges of the Royal Irish (Ulster) Rifles

Looking back over the current thread on the regimental design badge worn by Officers and W/Os of the 1st (Air landing Bn) The Royal Ulster Rifles jogged my memory about the badge offered by Bosleys in their July 2008 postal auction. This item (No 84) was described as a “Royal Ulster Rifles scarce white metal beret badge circa 1947-52”.

I wonder if it really is a beret badge. I am starting this new thread in the hope that it might uncover more information about this regimental pattern badge.

My own opinion is that is may be a design for wear in the FSC, possibly introduced in 1913.

I have no direct proof of this and to the best of my knowledge no sealing data has been found for this badge. The late David Linaker & I had discussed this badge at length and here is our combined speculation.

The badge below on the left is the well documented 1898 pattern FSC for the Royal Irish Rifles. This badge was replaced by a KC version shown here in the centre. This KC version was sealed in 1902. This centre image is very low resolution.

This badge is illustrated in Churchill’s book on collar badges as fig 1756. I believe he is in error in describing it as a collar badge (as he does with the 1898 pattern FSC badge, his ref 1749). Recall other than the OSD collar badges and mess dress the regiment did not start wearing collars until they joined the North Irish Brigade.

The WM badge sold by Bosleys appears to me that it might be a WM version of the 1902 KC FSC badge, it is of similar height (42mm), and I speculate that it may have been introduced in 1913 to coincide with the change of metals on the other ranks forage cap badge. I have posted the image that appeared in the other thread here for completion.

I have no proof of this however. But I have also never seen photos of this badge being worn in the caubeen in the period 47-52.

In fact further to this in WO32/12077 (the file dealing with the successful petition of the Rgt to replace the officers cord boss with a silver or silver plate version of the 1913 pattern O/R badge) which covers the period April 1946 to Sept 1949, when the regiments talks about requesting a silver plate version of the O/R badge there is no reference to an impending change to this smaller design.

I would be most interested in the opinions of members, does anyone have data opinions or references to support either view?

John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rir fsc.jpg (47.2 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg rir fsc 1902.jpg (4.9 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg Library%20-%202568.jpg (50.4 KB, 70 views)
Old 21-01-10, 11:42 AM

hi john,

just a queery really.

i was told a few years back that the officers/wo air landing cap badge was also used on officers side caps or chip bags as we knew them.

just wondered if this was true

many thanks

philip
Old 21-01-10, 01:05 PM

Default RUR SP

John this is a full size silver plated officer's cap badge. Its much better quality than the OR's version, and has two long lugs. The post war badge mentioned in the archive material ?.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg STA42648.jpg (40.5 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg STA42651.jpg (44.2 KB, 53 views)
Old 21-01-10, 01:38 PM
Super Moderator

John

Yours is avery logical argument. The fact that a/a K/C and Q/C badges were made in the full sized one and that there was no Q/C version would support your conclussion.

Which Bn was supposed to be wering a beret then anyway - surley the airborne bn role had gone and they were all in caubeens anyway.

Alan
Old 22-01-10, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishhorse View Post
John this is a full size silver plated officer's cap badge. Its much better quality than the OR's version, and has two long lugs. The post war badge mentioned in the archive material ?.
Many thanks for showing this, I have not seen one before. Interesting lug position. Gaunt made the first specimens in 1946 as part of the regimental petition.

John
Old 22-01-10, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockape560 View Post
hi john,

just a queery really.

i was told a few years back that the officers/wo air landing cap badge was also used on officers side caps or chip bags as we knew them.

just wondered if this was true

many thanks

philip
Philip

I really don't know as I have yet to see photographs of officers or W/Os of the 1st Bn wearing the FSC.

John
Old 09-02-17, 08:48 PM

Default RIR/RUR Side Cap and Collar Badges

In reply to your request for Info. on your photographs of the above the QVC badge ,nicknamed The Stumpie, was in fact worn as a Collar Badge by The Officers and the RSM in Kahki Service Dress on the stand up collar, and I have photographs from about 1907 showing same. They wear the same badge both sides ie. not facing pair, and in 50 years of collecting to the regiment i have never seen an example facing left.
The KC badge is almost certainly an officers pattern collar badge WW1 vintage, and what we term "not usual type" ie. not the normal triangular shape. I have in my collection versions in Brass,Bronze, W/M and Silver, and have facing pairs of some. Officers of this period wore a Boss Badge on their side caps and O/Rs just had 2 cap buttons.
The KC W/M badge is a mystery in that I bougt one some 40 years ago, prior to the restrike flood, but I have no photographic evidence (in over 1000 photos) of it ever being worn. My opinion is that these were a "trial badge" that were never taken into wear by the regiment. However as all badge collectors Know some day someone will come along with evidence to the contrary.
Regards Bobby Rainey