British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Cavalry, Yeomanry, Tank/RAC Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 03-05-10, 05:00 PM
Mr. Jackanory

Default Norfolk Yeo/MPSC cap badge

At last up it is for viewing and opinions. Yes, I did by it as a Norfolk Yeomanry, yes, I can handle it if it isn't. It is 40cm x 30cm
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bits and bobs 030.jpg (32.1 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg Bits and bobs 031.jpg (26.2 KB, 18 views)
Old 03-05-10, 05:05 PM
Member 2008-16- Rest in Peace

Hi Matti,

Well established now, it's a Provost !

Talking to Malc earlier, the Norfolk is about 55mm in height ??

Dave.
Old 03-05-10, 05:13 PM
Mr. Jackanory

Mine has clearly shrunk by being over polished by a zealous soldier or it fell into the deepio during pan bashing. It may have been worn by a very small Yeoman who needed a smaller badge so that he was in proportion...!!!
Old 20-11-10, 11:40 PM
Peter J

Default Norfolk Yeomanry - opinions please

Had this badge a while and would very much appreciate your comments please.

It is about 57mm in height, and from the front looks fairly reasonable. However, I am a bit unhappy with the reverse, especially given the marks on the east and west extremities. Not too happy about the maker's mark either, really.

It came from Marlows, so you would think that its authenticity might be less open to question, though I would rather rely on forum members' expert eyes than any auctioneer's reputation.

With thanks,

Peter.

DSCF3378.jpgDSCF3375.jpgDSCF3380.jpg
Old 21-11-10, 08:47 AM

Hi Peter
It looks to me like it was originally lugged and has had a slider fitted at a later stage. Don't know about that makers mark though.
Cheers,
Alex
Old 21-11-10, 11:17 AM

Hi Peter,
I would say it simply had lugs fitted first, maybe by mistake - who knows, then removed & a slider fitted. My NY has a slider, but have shown a similar badge with lugs fitted in a different place ( probably Provost ) which shows they would fit on this type of badge. I have also shown an unissued badge that had lugs fitted, then removed & a slider fitted, hope this helps, best wishes,
Wilf.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img535.jpg (69.3 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg norfolk b.jpg (86.7 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg S&T corps rear.jpg (80.8 KB, 52 views)
Old 21-11-10, 02:52 PM
Peter J

Thanks, Wilf. Nice to see the variation between slider and lugs.

I just wasn't sure about mine - maker's mark looks a bit too 'new', plus the hint of a crimp seems ever so slightly contrived. Probably just a bit of paranoid badge-fever obscuring my objectiveness!

Thanks gents; I can now allow myself a modicum of smug self-satisfaction, safe in the knowledge that it is a good 'un...

...possibly?!

All the best,

Peter.
Old 23-11-10, 12:26 AM

Why would you assume that, simply because this badge came from Marlow's, it is a cast in stone original, I was sending back badges I was unhappy with, to Messrs Bosley and co in the 1980's, Cheers Sean.
Old 23-11-10, 11:01 AM

Hi Pete, your badge in my opinion, for what its worth looks fine. The two marks on the rear of the badge, I believe may be left by temporary attachments, used to lift the badge from its casting mould then removed for slider attachment. This is only a theory. Cheers Sean.
Old 23-11-10, 07:23 PM
Peter J

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean michael cronin View Post
Hi Pete, your badge in my opinion, for what its worth looks fine. The two marks on the rear of the badge, I believe may be left by temporary attachments, used to lift the badge from its casting mould then removed for slider attachment. This is only a theory. Cheers Sean.
Theory or not, I appreciate your input, Sean.

With thanks,

PJ
Old 14-10-12, 11:39 PM

Default Norfolk Yeomanry badge info.

When the Norfolk Yeomanry Museum at swaffham closed i brought from Ben Emmerson all that was offered. Today in a box of paper work i have found the following typed note.

SUBJECT DRESS OFFICERS
TO CAPT CHAPMAN RA P BTTY
FROM QUARTERMASTER 389 LAA REGT RA (NORFOLK YEO)TA
WITH REFERENCE TO THE CONFERENCE OF ALL OFFICERS OF THE REGT HELD RECENTLY AT THE DRILL HALL SWAFFHAM, THE QUESTION OF DRESS WAS BROUGHT FOWARD.THE C.O.HAS DISCUSSEDTHE QUES WITH THE BRIG, WHO STATES THERE CERTAIN ADVANTAGES IN THE WEARING OF THE ROYAL ARTILLERY DESIGNATION, THEREFORE THE C.O. DIRECTS ME TO INFORM YOU THAT CAP BADGE AND BUTTONS OF NORFOLK YEOMANRY WILL BE WORN AND SHOULDER TITLES ROYAL ARTILLERY.TITLES R.A. CAN BE OBTAINED FROM ME ON PAYMENT.
B.GORDBUN
CAPT. Q.M.R.A. SWAFFHAM 10/5/47

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.....................EIIR is.......................................
Old 14-10-12, 11:46 PM
Peter J

Quote:
Originally Posted by norfolk regt man View Post
When the Norfolk Yeomanry Museum at swaffham closed i brought from Ben Emmerson all that was offered. Today in a box of paper work i have found the following typed note.

SUBJECT DRESS OFFICERS
TO CAPT CHAPMAN RA P BTTY
FROM QUARTERMASTER 389 LAA REGT RA (NORFOLK YEO)TA
WITH REFERENCE TO THE CONFERENCE OF ALL OFFICERS OF THE REGT HELD RECENTLY AT THE DRILL HALL SWAFFHAM, THE QUESTION OF DRESS WAS BROUGHT FOWARD.THE C.O.HAS DISCUSSEDTHE QUES WITH THE BRIG, WHO STATES THERE CERTAIN ADVANTAGES IN THE WEARING OF THE ROYAL ARTILLERY DESIGNATION, THEREFORE THE C.O. DIRECTS ME TO INFORM YOU THAT CAP BADGE AND BUTTONS OF NORFOLK YEOMANRY WILL BE WORN AND SHOULDER TITLES ROYAL ARTILLERY.TITLES R.A. CAN BE OBTAINED FROM ME ON PAYMENT.
B.GORDBUN
CAPT. Q.M.R.A. SWAFFHAM 10/5/47

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.....................EIIR is.......................................
Andy,

Apologies, but I'm not entirely sure what your question is

Peter
Old 15-10-12, 12:18 AM

Hi Peter, not so much as a question, more if thats dated 1947, how come the EIIR badge is classed as norfolk yeomanry, when this letter tells us it should be the R.A. Gun.
All the best Andrew,
whos girlfriend has left him for a week..... so expect loads of posts.......i have already looked at every Royal Anglian thread and posts on this site.................................eyes hurt badly.........must carry on

Opps..... I have misread that..........Cap and buttons NORFOLK YEOMARY.........titles R.A.

Soooooooooooooooooo..........KORR not worn after 1947

Last edited by norfolk regt man; 15-10-12 at 12:28 AM. Reason: i am useless
Old 15-10-12, 12:25 AM
Peter J

Hello Andy,

The way I read it, the missive is saying that the cap badge and buttons should remain as NY, whereas the S/Ts will be those of the RA.

It goes without saying that the EIIR badge would of course not have been introduced until the early-1950s.

Peter.
Old 15-10-12, 02:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter J View Post
Hello Andy,

The way I read it, the missive is saying that the cap badge and buttons should remain as NY, whereas the S/Ts will be those of the RA.

It goes without saying that the EIIR badge would of course not have been introduced until the early-1950s.

Peter.
thats the way i understand it now............and its 3am