British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Cavalry, Yeomanry, Tank/RAC Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 06-05-12, 03:31 PM
Former Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joachim View Post
Hi 21L
Doubtful the 9th is genuine as it was an all white metal badge in the first place, no all white metal badges were made in economy issue,

Malc
Malc, there was a 9th Lancers, see the starting post.

Andy
Old 06-05-12, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2747andy View Post
Malc, there was a 9th Lancers, see the starting post.

Andy
Andy i find it hard to believe that the Cavalry economy issued had different rules to Infantry economy issued, on research done by KLR no all white metal badge was made in economy issue, and until i see evidence of this for cavalry i will not have one in my collection no matter how good it looks.
All the best
Malc

Imagination is more important than knowledge. For while knowledge defines all we currently know and understand, imagination points to all we might yet discover.
Old 06-05-12, 08:37 PM
Former Member

Malc,
Julian's work was on Infantry badges I believe and he has all the documantary evidence. However the main reason for starting this thread was because I have and have seen examples which "Go against the Grain".. i.e. a 9th Lancers and likewise a two part 10th Hussars, when the Infantry badges were all "Single Piece"? And if you saw the 9L shown here you'd be in no doubt either!!

Andy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF1001 - Copy (2).jpg (72.8 KB, 123 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF1002 - Copy (2).jpg (60.4 KB, 126 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF1001.jpg (80.1 KB, 82 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF1002 - Copy (3).jpg (79.2 KB, 93 views)

Last edited by 2747andy; 20-12-13 at 09:04 PM.
Old 06-05-12, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Malc,
Julian's work was on Infantry badges I believe and he has all the documantary evidence. However the main reason for starting this thread was because I have and have seen examples which "Go against the Grain".. i.e. a 9th Lancers and likewise a two part 10th Hussars, when the Infantry badges were all "Single Piece"? And if saw the 9L shown here you'd be in no doubt either!!

Andy
Andy
No offence but these against the grain badges 9L (10TH i have no problem with even though mine is one piece) are in your opinion genuine, but i will wait for documentary evidence to surface, i have touched on this subject with Julian awhile back and im hoping some time in the future he will bring out a list like he did with the Infantry economies then there will be no doubt.
All the best
Malc

Imagination is more important than knowledge. For while knowledge defines all we currently know and understand, imagination points to all we might yet discover.
Old 07-05-12, 07:58 AM

I hope to be able to finish the first part of this research (ie on regular units) in a month or so ready for publication later in the year. There are indeed 'problems' with the cavalry (why so few all gm are listed) but as far as I can tell the WO reference "Those badges now made wholly of white metal to remain so." (there are others similarly worded) meant all badges, it does not identify any type, ie infy cav etc etc.
Corps badges are fairly easy to work out but yeo, TF etc I'm leaving for a separate article as it's much more complicated.
I should stress that I do not intend to illustrate any badges in these articles, they are based entirely on documentary evidence.
Old 17-05-12, 01:13 PM

Default Hussars

Andy,

As promised pic's of 19th Hussars Brass E1 Cap badge with Hairpin slider. I also have an HM silver Example and will post pics later.

Regards

3748 Hussar
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P5170064.JPG (54.7 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg P5170065.JPG (84.8 KB, 107 views)
Old 17-05-12, 02:34 PM
Super Moderator

One my w/m one the hairpin extends below the neck so that the narrowest point is strengthened where it is most likely to break. It has been cut away to do so. Could you post a picture of the front?

Alan
Old 17-05-12, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Tinto, a common copy I'm affraid, the crown shape and un-voided cypher let it down! The 21L is one I'm unsure of, I've shown two examples at the start of the thread!

Thanks for showing your badge!

Andy
Hi Andy
Here's my 21L economy badge. Unfortunately the pic isn`t great because whoever owned it before painted it with gold modelling paint. This came off a display of WWI badges and every other badge was good, so I have no reason to doubt this one.
Cheers,
Alex
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 21L.jpg (60.8 KB, 92 views)
Old 17-05-12, 05:37 PM

Hi Alan ,

follow the link the pic is in my Album .
http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...ictureid=41075

Regards

Tony C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan O View Post
One my w/m one the hairpin extends below the neck so that the narrowest point is strengthened where it is most likely to break. It has been cut away to do so. Could you post a picture of the front?

Alan
Old 13-06-12, 07:51 PM

21st Lancers all GM added for discussion.

Rockape
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 21st_KC_allbrass.jpg (54.8 KB, 144 views)
File Type: jpg 21st_KC_allbrass_rear.jpg (36.7 KB, 128 views)
Old 13-12-12, 04:43 PM
Former Member

A good copy IMO?

Andy
Old 16-12-12, 09:26 AM
Super Moderator

Head above the parapet - there should be no 1916 economy 17th lancers badge. The records show no reason for an all w/m badge to be made as an economy. Also the badge does lack the patina and sldier design of a Ww1 era badge.

However. This is not to say the badge was not at some time worn by the regiment or its successor the 17/21st lancers. The photos do not exhibit the traits of one particular modern repro makers die but then it could be an older fake.

As an aside, but shows the divergance that does happen, officially the QRL wear an all w/m a/a badge. In reality the soldiers all wear proper metal badges in their berets and currently a large proprtion of them (but not all) wear lugged blackened brass badges (mottos) in their berets.

Alan
Old 16-12-12, 10:16 AM
Former Member

Alan,
I agree 100% that there "Should Not" be an all Gm 17th Lancers and by the shape of the slider this is not one, but is a mystery! That said there should not be a 9th Lancers either but there was!! Just need to find out why? A retirement project which is on the cards!

As for the current QRL Motto, I believe anodised badges are still issued to recruits, however Whitemetal badges are purchased and worn daily, which is common in many Regiments. Blackened badges are not worn on a daily basis by the QRL, although the odd one may be worn on Operations (Ops). The wearing of blackened badges on Ops or Exercise has decreased in recent years as the helmet is worn as routine.

You are quite right that there is a factory manufactured blackened 17/21L, which are quite collectable!

Andy
Old 16-12-12, 01:52 PM
Super Moderator

Andy,

All good points except for it's not the 'odd one on Ops' - it's currently worn by the majority on a daily basis in HERRICK. The badges are a quality brass with a bronzed-black finish rather than the 1980's-90's factory made black ones.

Alan
Old 21-12-13, 02:02 PM
Former Member

Alan,
many thanks, Looks like the 3DG can be added to the list of confirmed all Gm badges too!

MOD Note This badge is a fake.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20 Dec 13 005.jpg (93.1 KB, 96 views)
File Type: jpg 20 Dec 13 006.jpg (90.1 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg 20 Dec 13 008.jpg (98.5 KB, 86 views)
File Type: jpg 20 Dec 13 010.jpg (83.7 KB, 56 views)

Last edited by Alan O; 15-10-19 at 07:10 PM.