British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 01-03-15, 07:25 PM

Default Silver Manchester Badge

Hi,
Picked this one up the other day. Appears to be silver plated and marked J.R. GAUNT LONDON. Have I been duped as I cannot see reference to this badge anywhere?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20150301_144038.jpg (66.0 KB, 160 views)
File Type: jpg 20150301_144055.jpg (45.0 KB, 130 views)
File Type: jpg 20150301_144117.jpg (43.4 KB, 107 views)
Old 01-03-15, 07:31 PM

Non military ?

P.B.

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 01-03-15, 07:47 PM

Interesting idea. If it isn't military would anybody have an idea who it might be for - especially as it has a GAUNT mark. I would assume it is some form of local Govt body?
Old 01-03-15, 08:00 PM

Possibly Tram Driver or Conductor, Lamp lighter, School caretaker, Park warden for starters.
Eddie
Old 01-03-15, 08:03 PM
Former Member

Looks like an officer's forage cap badge?

Andy
Old 01-03-15, 08:35 PM

I am stumped on this one. I have an officers silver/gilt badge, which is what you would expect. However, this is just silver. To confuse things further I also have the same badge, in silver again, without the Manchester scroll.
I also have the 1903 Manchester Corporation Tramways badge, which totally differs, so no confusion there. It definitely is not the Police badge from that era.
I am tending to lean to Military. Could it be from one of the Volunteer battalions?
Old 01-03-15, 09:31 PM

Hello,

There are no non-Manchester Regiment bodies that wear this badge.
Only the Manchester Regiment wear this badge.

All other bodies wear the Manchester Coat of Arms either on its own without a scroll or with a scroll named to their organisation.

The Manchester City Police wear a different style badge alltogether.

So, there is no doubt that this badge 'purports' to be a Silver (Plated) cap badge worn by an officer of the Regiment. Having said that, in all my years of collecting I have never seen one, nor read of one like it.

I have officers cap badges of the Volunteer Bn.'s and all have a VB plaque on them, are of much heavier construction than this one and normally have blades. Non are maker marked.

Its possible an officer of a TF Bn may have worn such a badge from 1908 - 1914'ish as its impossible to tell from B&W photos.

I am always finding varaitions on badges, but rarely a totally new badge like this, so forgive me for treating it with some suspicion.

I am dubious of the quality and colour and the crisp makers mark and would defer my decision until I see if some more like it pop up to this Regiment or others.

regards

Manchester Regiment Collector
Rank, Prize & Trade Badges
British & Commonwealth Artillery Badges
Old 01-03-15, 09:53 PM

Thanks Simon,
I purchased a collection a while back, but have just got around to sorting the Manchester badges out. Included in the collection were a silver/gilt officers badge, bronze osd and the badge same as the one photographed without the Manchester scroll. Every one is immaculate and in mint condition. Also included were 3 x badges with like an electricity coil over the globe. I have put this up for identification in the Infantry section.
Thanks for your time.
Old 17-03-20, 11:20 PM

Only 5 years late but to put this one to bed. The badge is made from the fake Manchester Regiment die as sold in the Martin Marsh catalogues. Image attached shows an identical badge but with an additional and incorrectly applied fake V.B. scroll.

Note the startled goggle eyed antelope with pushed back neck and head.

Clearly this J.R.Gaunt stamp mark was on hand to the repro-ers in the 1970s or more recently. It would be helpful to know the measurements to include in the maker mark section as appearing on reproductions.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 8F680A9C-9B1B-4E12-A451-185686F1105C.jpg (71.0 KB, 55 views)
Old 18-03-20, 09:39 AM

I missed this thread in 2015, but, I have seen several of these badges before, in my opinion, you have certainly been "duped" if it was sold to you as an original badge, the regiment never worn those.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleeman View Post
Hi,
Picked this one up the other day. Appears to be silver plated and marked J.R. GAUNT LONDON. Have I been duped as I cannot see reference to this badge anywhere?