British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 17-07-13, 08:09 PM

Default Belgian Congo-British shoulder title

Hello,

I've found this picture during my trawling of the internet - it shows soldiers of the 10 (Belgian Congo) Casualty Clearing Station (which served under British command in the Burma Campaign) during the Second World War. Can anyone see what the shoulder title says? It may well be British.

http://mediatheque.lesoir.be/v/monde...MG9GX.JPG.html

Thanks!

BP
Old 17-07-13, 08:27 PM

Can't read it I'm afraid, but the shape is similar to the two line title BRITISH/RED CROSS. The formation sign is 11th (East African ) Division - as West Africans they cannot really have felt at home there.
Old 18-07-13, 01:13 PM

"The formation sign is 11th (East African ) Division - as West Africans they cannot really have felt at home there.

Not quite sure I follow. East Africans adrift in West Africa, or not feeling at home in Burma? I had the privilige of meetining a Hausa [northern Nigerian] vet of the 1st / 81st West African Div. who, 40 years later remembered enough of his Hindi to take a drink order from an Indian colleague of mine. He's have felt adrift in any jungle, as his home turf was in the Sahel [sub desert] region of northern Nigeria.

Reminds me of the story about a Gurkha soldier, separated from his unit in Burma, who allegedly used a London Underground map to navigate his way to safety. It all reflects either a touching faith in the 'bush craft' of their colonial troops or a colossal ignorance of conditions 'over there' on the part of the British high command. Take your pick.
Old 18-07-13, 02:09 PM

I simply meant that they had neither a common military culture nor a language in common - French and over 200 indigenous languages were spoken in the Belgian Congo. Even within a polyglot Fourteenth Army there must have been a communication problem. As the NHS is increasingly finding out, a common working language is desirable in the medical profession.
Mike
Old 18-07-13, 07:04 PM

Thanks anyway. Any idea what the two stripes on the arm of the left-most soldier indicate?
Old 18-07-13, 08:14 PM

I would imagine that the two bars are the same rank badge system that was in use in the Belgian Army of that period? Worn on the arm, probably a Cpl.
Old 19-07-13, 01:30 PM

"--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I simply meant that they had neither a common military culture nor a language in common - French and over 200 indigenous languages were spoken in the Belgian Congo. Even within a polyglot Fourteenth Army there must have been a communication problem. As the NHS is increasingly finding out, a common working language is desirable in the medical profession.
"

Ah! D'ccord!

Pointing and shouting only gets you so far when it comes to the more subtle concepts, like 'Take prisoners' or, vis-a-vis the NHS 'Blah bla bla penicillin' may mean 'This patient has a fatal penicillin allergy.' OOps!