British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 05-04-10, 04:40 PM

Default Post 1916 Supply of TF Badges

As an afterthought to my last posting – I see Stephen (badjez) put something up here about the War Office taking over responsibility for the supply of Territorials badges in 1916. Given that I’ve also read that the territorial battalions of the Leicesters apparently stopped using the version without the top ‘Hindoostan’ scroll in favour of the regulars badge in 1917 as well, this would then give a window of 1908-1916 for the use of these two longer slidered badges. If there is a definite date for the introduction of the more standard slider length, then this could also narrow the time frame further for the badges. If anyone does have any thoughts on this last point, I really would be grateful to hear about them. Thanks again to everyone who’s contributed so far to this thread.

Regards

Martin

“Scutelliphiliacus in vestri insignia pergaudete”

Last edited by 'Ticker' Riley; 05-04-10 at 08:38 PM.
Old 05-04-10, 08:08 PM

Martin, it was a very quick reply that I wrote earlier (you deserve a longer one) and I couldn't find my notes on the IWM KLR badge - and still can't !!! I think I may have been too hasty about it's length.
I've just looked up the details of all the 1896 pattern King's badges I have with sliders (all 15 of them - I write down full descriptions etc of each new badge). The sliders range in length from 34 to 39 with the average at around 36.
Furthermore, being the anorak I am (I blame it on my museum career !) I also measure the length that the slider projects below the badge, thus I list them as eg 36/9. Again, there is a clear average of about /9, though the longest I have is 40/17 !

This - to me - begs the question of what a standard length is ??? Particularly after 1906 ?
Anyway, I'll do some real thinking for an even more tedious reply !
J
PS it was 1915 not 1916.
Old 06-04-10, 04:24 PM

Default Help with slider lengths

Hello Julian

No worries about the briefness of your postings - believe me when I say I’m more than grateful to you for trying to clarify things for me! At the end of the day I’m merely trying to understand why the two Leicesters territorials’ badges that I’ve put up have sliders that are markedly longer than all the other Leicestershire badges I have. This is what set me thinking that it might be because they were for some kind of headgear that only the territorials were wearing, at least in their early years, and this, in turn, is why I surmised it could have been for the Brodrick Cap - as I outlined in my initial posting to this thread about things. Though as Alan has pointed out, without any kind of evidence about what they were wearing it would now seem unlikely this was what these badges were for, especially as we know the Brodrick went out in 1906-07 and the territorials didn’t come into being until 1908; even if some units do appear to have carried on wearing it for a few years after 1907.

So far I haven’t seen any other longer slidered post-1896 Leicestershire Regiment badges, apart from the other Gaunt one which began the thread. I’m pretty sure both my badges are pukka, and that the Gaunt one is an adaptation of a regular Leicesters ORs badge with its original lugs removed along with the ‘Hindoostan’ top scroll - which to me does suggest an earlier date for its conversion, and is why I personally think these badges date nearer to 1908 than 1914. The fact Alan ascribes his longer slidered badges to the Great War is very interesting, and I look forward to hearing more on this. If you do come up with anything on when the more standard sliders came in, by which I mean those that are approximately 35mm (1⅜ʹʹ), then that would be most helpful indeed.

Best regards

Martin

P.S. Thank you for your P.S. pointing out the WO took over responsibility for TF badges in 1915 and not 1916, as this now brings the possible dates of the badges down to just eight years, even if we don’t yet know what they were worn with!

“Scutelliphiliacus in vestri insignia pergaudete”

Last edited by 'Ticker' Riley; 07-04-10 at 10:55 AM.

Tags
leicestershire, territorials